iPhone 3G on 3.1.3 - unlock carrier.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by WeegieMac, Jun 11, 2010.

1. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Hi, sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but I've listed my iPhone 3G for sale privately, and the enquiries I've had have ALL been if the phone is unlocked.

I've restored to 3.1.3 firmware and was wondering if/how you can unlock the carrier on the iPhone 3G using this firmware and if anyone has any tutorials on how to do so.

Appreciated.

Edit: Waste of time ... I've updated to iOS 4 GM which has updated the baseband, meaning even though I'm back on 3.1.3, I can't unlock. Right?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You should be able to unlock then sell your 3G in a couple of weeks.

3. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Cheers mate.

Unfortunately there's a pressing need for me to shift it now, so the buyer will need to be someone who wants it on O2!

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

if your phone is out of contract ask your carrier if they will on lock it for you. factory unlocks are way better then software unlocks. can't hurt to check tell them you are going overseas I know O2 unlocks I think Orange does as well but I not a 100% I'm AT&T no such option here.

5. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

O2 unlock but charge £15 and can take up to 14 days ... I don't have the luxury of that time frame.

Long story cut short, my wife's been done by the tax office (wrong tax code) and her salary is woefully short. I used the opportunity to suggest selling my iPhone 3G, which she knows I love.

I said, "OK, I'll sell it for some extra cash ... but it's GOT to be replaced".

So basically I need to sell this ASAP to get some help with the bills while the tax office sort out the wife's salary, and I get to buy a new iPhone next month. Whether it's a 3GS or an iPhone 4 remains to be seen and depends on the PAYG prices, because I refuse to enter into a contract.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

talk to the buyer if I was them I would gladly pay £15 and get it factory unlocked. I have read some threads and often they do it with in a few days. factory unlocked is a much better option all around. what baseband are you settings/about look for modem firmware.

7. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

I've no idea what baseband I'm on mate, but I updated to iOS4 GM and my carrier has been updated to O2 5.0 ... so doing it via the jailbreak route is not possible.

I would prefer to do the unlock officially, so I have amended my ad description on the sites I'm using to sell, and have included the information so people know it CAN be done but for a one off fee of £15.

It cost me £342.50 when I bought it in September 2009, and even though the iPhone 4 is coming out, I think given that it's only one month old and in perfect cosmetic/working order, comes with all original packaging and accessories (as well as the official dock and a slider case), and has three full months of warranty remaining ... £220/£230 is a fair price.