iPhone 3G On Best Buy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric Noa, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Eric Noa macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

Hello,

So I currently owned an iPhone, and my dad when to Best Buy to buy me the 3G and they said Since my contract was not too old so I had to pay $600 dollars.....or get a new contract under someone else to get it for $200.

Are they crazy or they are hiring stupid people at best buy????? Since when it has been at $600.....:mad:

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

If your 2.5g iphone is running on an offical AT&T plan, you should be able to get the phone as the old one wasn't subsidized.

3. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

The iphone retails for 599 according to Best Buys ad. If you have an original iphone then you should be able to upgrade for the 199 or 299 price depending on your choice. I wouldn't fool with best buy id go to at&t or apple store.

4. Eric Noa thread starter macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

I still don't get the 600 price......I always thought it was 200 or 300

5. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Only if you are a new customer or are due an upgrade.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

It is subsidized down to 2/300. You pay the difference off over the course of the contract. The price of the device is $600 or 700, the carrier is just essentially floating you a loan which you pay back as a part of your monthly service over the duration of the contract.

7. jlwillia macrumors regular

Moral of the story...

Best Buy is a retailer. Get it strait from the source.

Nothing against Best Buy, I'm just saying...

8. Eric Noa thread starter macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

OK, I always buy my apple stuff straight from apple, but like I said, it was my dad who went..

9. Jailbird1818 macrumors member

It doesn't matter where you buy it from. Read the contract. The price you see for a new phone, it doesn't matter what carrier, is the contract price. The carrier gives you a price break on the phone to commit to 2 years of service. The price of any phone without a contract is about $300 higher than the contract price. If you g to an Apple store and try to buy an iPhone without a contract the price will be much higher than the $2/300 price. Take a look at any new unlocked phone price and they will be much higher than the locked contract price.

Botom line, buy it from Apple, but it from Best Buy, buy it from any re-seller, if you don't get the contract you will pay way more than the $2/300 prices.

-JB