iPhone 3g on contract or PAYG UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NStocks, Sep 10, 2008.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

I really want an iPhone, I currently own the iPod touch and i must admit it's amazing likewise is the updated version. I would use the iPhone mainly for its features, and Internet in-you're-pocket is also the main reason I want the iPhone, over any other 3G phone, I've seen web broswers on the Samsung Tocco and Touch, and they are very very poor.

The iPhone has a large price tag, compared to other mobile Phones, but I'm sure it will be worth it : Just deciding wether or not to get the PAYG or contract ;

I top up about £10 every month or so, on T-mobile because I get texts for 3p and loads of other offers. I have never used the internet on a Phone before so I don't know how amazing it is.

The PAYG iPhone is £349.00 for the 8GB which is what I will get plus £30/month which is also the tariff I need. It works out slightly cheaper to get the PAYG version, including the extra £10/month after the first 12 months for 3G, so basically its £10 for 12 months then £20 for 6 months.

What will happen after the 18 months contract ends on PAYG, would I always have to pay £10 extra a month for 3G, or will they renew the contract. Also what happen when Apple come out with a newer model, would I have to pay full-whack for the PAYG, and about £99 if I was on a contract.

Basically i need to know which one i would be better off getting in the long run, can I still use the Phone after my contract ended or do I have to renew for the Phone ability? But I will have to wait at least a week before I even think about it, I'm not sure if my employment will end I have not got the new contract yet... Plus more rumors about the Free iPod offer in the UK is suppost to happen, this will be sold to fund the iPhone as well as my current iPod.

Thank You for reading any any advice is greatly appreciated.

NStocks

2. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I think you're slightly confused about the contract situation. If you get a PAYG iPhone, you are not on any contract at all - you have no obligation to buy top-ups or have any minimum spend each month. You are paying the unsubsidised price for the iPhone - it's yours to do with what you will.

If you do decide to go for the contract, I strongly suggest you go for the £35/month contract. You get SO many more minutes and texts included. I use my iPhone now more than my landline, and it's great not to even think about my usage (there's 10 hours included every month in the £35 package!).

You could always sell your iPod Touch on eBay if it is in good condition and reduce the upfront cost of the iPhone.

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Ahhh, I misunderstood it then. When it said minimum top up £10-£14... this is for the ' free stuff'. So if i got one today and topped up £10, used that and didn't top up until next year, would I still get 3G and Wi-Fi for no additional cost after the £349.00 ?

This is great if it's true, but what happens after the 18 months period on PAYG ?

Do you think it would actually be better on PAYG since I don't always top up ever month.

NStocks