iPhone 3G on eBay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Koreos, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Koreos macrumors member

Would it be a good idea to buy one off eBay? (of course from a good rated seller)

I would like to get one, unlock it when the tool is released and use an pay as you go SIM card. Why? Because I don't want to carry around an iPod touch + a Cellphone...

My concern is that probably the eBay seller had to activate the phone when he bought it (or maybe not)... would that be a problem for me?

Thank you in advance.

2. showtime macrumors 6502

if you're unlocking it to use there probably won't be a problem. You'll just have to pay a hefty premium for the phone.

3. magid macrumors 6502

magid

The prices on ebay are crazy, just goto an apple store and pick one up.

4. showtime macrumors 6502

Yeah you could probably wait for apple to release the no contract iphone for 599 which would still be less than what they are going for on ebay

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Is there anything wrong with the older iPhone? I mean if you are going to pay as you go, you probably aren't going to have access or want it to 3G.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can't unless the seller wants to stuck with a $30 data plan for a phone he doesn't have you won't be able to get it. At least not yet.

You will be forced to buy it with a 2 year agreement with a AT&T and you have to pay with a credit card; no more gift cards or those cash cards; in other no activation means no phone.

There is no no-contract iPhone; it's either $199/$299 subsidized or $399/$499 unsubsidized; either way you're subject to a 2 year agreement.

7. jaylay0707 macrumors member

if you're just using pay as you go, why get 3G? why not get one of the previous generation iphones on ebay that everyones trying to get rid of? it would be way cheaper...

8. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Very true. In the UK v1 iPhones are fetching over £300 and 3G iPhones look set to be reaching at least £500. At these prices and with the inconvenience of having a hacked phone it looks like a contract or nothing unless this Ohmac company that people are talking about comes through with the goods.

9. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

well in the UK O2 are going to offer the 3G on PAY&G but whether it will have free 3G usage or some other dataplan is unknown. Plump for the contract, Or a 1G

10. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

it is possible to get 3G on PYG plans

11. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Those old phones are still running a hefty premium on Ebay. I've been watching a few 4GB, most are still selling for around $300 or more.