iPhone 3G on Gophone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by d-unit1984, Jul 28, 2011.

1. d-unit1984 macrumors newbie

I've been doing a lot of research and now its time for me to decide what I want to do with my iPhone...I want to use the Gophone prepaid network but I'm not sure what plans I should choose and if I need to unlock the phone or not..some people have claimed that I have to unlock it and some have claimed I do NOT have to unlock and/or jailbreak it....my iPhone is NOT jailbroken and is locked....anyone have any suggestions for me? my service with straight talk ends tomorrow and I want to switch it over to iPhone so I can start using that!

Thank you

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Go into any ATT shop and buy a prepaid SIM and it will work in your phone without a JB and without an unlock. Do not buy a Go-Phone and take the SIM out and try to use it. They are sometimes locked to the phone for six months.

3. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

As previously stated of course you don't need to be jailbroken or unlocked to use a gophone SIM in an AT&T iPhone. Don't purchase the whole gophone, you are throwing your money away. Bite the bullet drive to an AT&T store and ask for a SIM for your iPhone. They'll set you up fast. They'll advise you you can not get a data plan with this.

I still have an old gophone SIM that works on one of my iPhone 4s and it has a data plan, but that SIM refuses (9 months later) to work in any other iPhone (stating invalid SIM). These days you can't get the data plan any more.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You're good to walk into AT&T and get a pre-paid. Don't deal with the Go-phone, you're just spending money on a phone you won't use.

Also, you can't get data, which is kinda the trade-off with prepaid. :(

5. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

Yes, you can get a data plan month to month on an iPhone GoPhone. You have to create an APN setting then upload to your phone as a config file using the iPhone Configuration Utility.
    After that you do that you can get one of the data plans. Been using data on my 3G GoPhone for a while now.

Here's where I got the info to set up the APN: http://goo.gl/Rweof

6. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

AT&T does not offer data on gophone (prepaid) SIMs in the iphone. When you log in to your gophone account to add minutes, there is no data purchasing option any more.

With accounts set up some time ago (like one that I still have), I can purchase data per month. This is not the case with new accounts.

Iphone configuration utitlity doesn't trump AT&T refusing to give you a data plan to begin with.

7. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

Interesting. I had no idea they changed it for new phones. Guess it pays to be grandfathered. When did they change it?

8. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Yeah it's a new ballgame now.

The gophone sim I have from 9 months ago still allows me to purchase data for $25 a month.

The gophone sim I just purchased 45 days ago from an at&t store, does not allow any add ons. What's ironic is on that page where you purchase minutes there is an ad that says "like to surf the 'net? 500 mb $25. The at&t salesperson also stressed that I could not add data with the iphone. Maybe you can with other phones....

9. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

Boneheads. I know the logic is that they can theoretically get more out of someone with a 2 year contract. But if the customer is like me (and others) who has an out of contract phone, doesn't want a 2 year commitment but still wants a small amount of data, why not take the money? The data is more per minute and they're making out on it.

I guess this answers the question of why I'm not in corporate sales.

10. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I agree. It's their damn greed. In these economic times they should take any dollar they can get. It's just like beating people over the head for tethering.

Anyone wanna start up their own carrier?

11. furby3 macrumors member

Did I do this right?

I have an iPhone 3GS. I had an old Gophone that I purchased last year. I called AT&T and told them I wanted to cancel my iPhone account and transfer the number to the Gophone 10 cent a minute plan and the $15/100MB data plan.

They did it for me (after trying to talk me into some more expensive Gophone plans). I took the SIM from the iPhone and put it in the Gophone. It worked for voice and data.

Then I put the SIM back into the iPhone and it worked for voice but not data. I went to http://www.unlockit.co.nz/ on my iPhone and followed the instructions. I was presented with two choices, create a fake APN and something else, i can't remember exactly what it was, but I chose that one.

Suddenly I had 3G data. So far, so good.

I have been closely monitoring my data usage at AT&T Pay As You Go Online to make sure I don't exceed my 100MB (I never used to use that much with my old iPhone account).

So is everything hunky dory? Did I dot all the i's and cross the t's? Is there anything else I need to do?

12. furby3 macrumors member

Are you sure?

Are you sure about this? The AT&T GoPhone® Plans page still shows data packages for sale. And how would you fully use the new Android Gophone without a data package?

13. furby3 macrumors member

I bought a data package for my new Gophone account (100MB/$15) and it works.

14. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Yes. :D Can we make it Canadian and American? :p