Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

View

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
Sorry if this has been discussed.

I was wondering about using the new iPhone 3G on my old 2G plan, do you think ATT will know and make me pay more?

I'm currently paying about $75 a month (with taxes and all the fees). For this, I get 450 mins + 5000 nights&wknds and unlimited data + 200 sms + unlimited mobile to mobile sms. I think it's really a good deal since all my friends that I text with are on ATT (and I text more than 2000 txt's a month).

I suspect that I wouldn't be able to get the $5 unlimited mobile to mobile sms on the 3G plan, so I would have to go with the $20 unlimited sms. That would put me at 69.99 + 20 = $89.99 + taxes and all the fees which would put me at about $105 a month! That's almost $30 extra per month ($360 per year!! or $720 for the 2 years period!!!!!!).

So I'm thinking maybe if I can just get the $699 16GB iPhone 3G (and somehow unlock it) and use the old 2G plan. Do you think I will be able to?

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
While I can't say for absolute sure, I'm nearly positive you can't do this. The 3G iPhone is activated at time of purchase, so ATT WILL know and your plan will be changed.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
There should be no reason you wouldn't be able to keep the $5 unlimited M2M texting.

So you'd only have to pay $15 more a month, which adds up to $360 over 2 years, or less than the $400 difference. And you're paying it over 2 years, so it SEEMS like a lot less money than $400 all at once.

AND the $600-$700 models won't be introduced until closer to the holiday season, so you'd have to wait a couple months. That's IF you could get it unlocked and do this.

I'd just take the plunge.

But yes, even if you DID do all that successfully, AT&T would know and start charging you more. They always know what phone your SIM card is in.

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
While I can't say for absolute sure, I'm nearly positive you can't do this. The 3G iPhone is activated at time of purchase, so ATT WILL know and your plan will be changed.

You have to pick your NEW plan at the purchase of the iPhone 3G. You pick one of the new plans...you can't stick with the old plan. That's only for the original iPhone.

Suck it up and pay more or face the music and stick with your current iPhone.

View

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
There should be no reason you wouldn't be able to keep the $5 unlimited M2M texting.

Since they will most likely have to remove all of my current plan/features and add the new 3G plan, sounds to me like the $5 unltd M2M SMS will be gone too. And I don't see it offered anywhere anymore.
This will be one of my key-decision i guess. If i can't get it, then $30 extra per month is a little much for just 3G speed (where it's covered) and GPS....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.