iphone 3g on tmobile unlock problems

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by taibant, Jun 14, 2009.

1. taibant macrumors member

hi guys,

this is my problem

i have a 16gb iphone 3g im trying to unlock for tmobile

it is bb 02.28.00 on 2.2.1

i pwn it and load yellowsn0w no problems

once i put the t-mobile sim in and restart it comes up with 5 bars of t-mobile service... great right?

after about 15 seconds the service disappears and it goes to searching and eventually to no service.

any ideas? thanks alot guys

2. Lord Sandwich macrumors regular

I'm on the exact same spec with no problems on two Tmo SIMs I tested. Have you tried turning 3G off in Settings, turning Airplane Mode on and off, rebooting a couple times?

3. taibant thread starter macrumors member

yep ive tried everything... airplane mode, reset network settings, reboots, restored to 2.2, etc. etc. etc.

i think that the edge radio might have gone? is this possible?

i scheduled an appt at the apple store today... maybe ill get a replacement

4. Lord Sandwich macrumors regular

Wow, not sure what could be the problem there but I'd fully restore the iPhone and put back the original SIM before heading to the Genius Bar. One look at the Tmo logo in the status bar and they'll refuse to service your phone, especially for network issues.

5. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

We'll have to see what happens with this one:rolleyes:

6. taibant thread starter macrumors member

well of course i have it restored and my att sim in it... i was unlocking it for a friend

but i dont even get edge signal with my ATT sim in it on official firmware! once i switch 3G off all the bars drop and it goes searching, then no service. my other iphone gets atleast 3 bars of edge in the same spot

7. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Well in that case, go ahead. You'll probably get a replacement.

8. taibant thread starter macrumors member

well i took it to the apple store, and i got it replaced! nice shiny new 16gb 3g

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I doubt you will be able to unlock it (for the time being). It probably has bootloader. 5.9 :( Do you still care about an unlock?

10. Jwile20vt macrumors newbie

Been following the thread some , Having a similar problem but was given the phone from a relative and its updated already . I've been able to get away for a short time with a i-smartphone sim adapter FYI sounds like you may have to go that route if your at 5.9 or newer one in general .

Trying not to complete thread jack but lets say he does have a newer one .. 5.9 and all , any options to at least get it back on tmo ? ?

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    He can try a sim adapter. Hopefully the dev team has an unlock ready for that bootloader. We will know what they have up their sleeves in a few days shortly following the official 3.0 release.

12. Jwile20vt macrumors newbie

Sounds good , I hope he appreciates your reply as much as I did ha ha .. I was told to hang tight by a few people , Sounds like that's the best advice for anyone in similar case right now .:D

I hope there's a S/W solution like you and others mentioned , Really don't want to buy another one of these sim adapters ha

13. Lord Sandwich macrumors regular

Pretty good odds that Apple updated the bootloader along with everything else, and that the new JB and unlock deal with it. These are good times to be a 3G owner. :)

14. taibant thread starter macrumors member

according to dev teams blog, they already have the 3G unlocked on 3.0GM but they are waiting for apple to release 3.0 before they release their unlock (so as not to give apple a chance to fix the hole before they release it)

so yes, i will still unlock, but not until tomorrow :D