iPhone 3G on Tmobile without data plan?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by theluker69, Apr 27, 2010.

1. theluker69 macrumors newbie

Hi. I have a friend who has an iphone 3g or maybe 3gs i cant remember, but im currently with verizon but switching to tmobile soon. When I switch I am definitely jailbreaking an iphone to use. My friend will sell his iphone to me but because its 3G I dont know if it will work without the data plan. I dont want to pay for data on tmobile. I just want voice coverage and text. Ive heard I wont get picture messages without data but I dont care about that really. I know with the 2G its possible to do it without data but is it for the 3G? Thanks. Im sorry if this has been asked here before. I did look and didnt find anything about the data.
    EDIT: The phone is not currently unlocked or jailbroken. He is with AT&T

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can use an iphone 3G without data on Tmobile.
    No MMS or visual voicemail.
    But voice and text would work fine.

3. theluker69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. Does anyone know what a fair price for a 3G or 3Gs would be. He was saying 200 but that just seems high. The phones in perfect shape though. If its a 3Gs maybe 200 is good, but for a 3G? Their 100 new. Oh its a 8gb btw

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They are $100 new with a 2 year contract.
    That doesn't mean the retail price is the same. Check out how much they sell on eBay. $200 is good for an iPhone 3G.
    The 3GS goes for around 400 on eBay and CL.

5. theluker69 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm I never thought about it like that. Well then I guess Ill have to buy it soon. I much prefer to buy from a friend that I can trust instead of just anyone on ebay.