Iphone 3G or 3GS , worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theking79, Oct 7, 2009.

1. theking79 macrumors 6502

Hi, I am looking to buy an iphone, I am really stuck between the 3GS and the 3G, what are everyones experiences switching to the 3GS from the 3G, is it worth the extra money?

I live in the UK and these are the tariffs I am looking at:

3GS - £87.11 to buy then £34.26 a month, unlimited internet, 500 texts, 600 mins

OR

3G - £34.26 a month same as 3GS tariff but without the price to buy.

So I am torn between the two, 3G being better price wise, but the video recording, faster performance etc is it worth it?

2. army91c macrumors 6502a

3gs all the way. I guess if you have never used a 3g then you don't know what you would be missing.... the extra speed and usability of the 3gs is worth it.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

go to the store

try both and decide for yourself that's is the best way. some are happy with a Honda while others need a Ferrari! obviously I vote the latter! :D

5. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Agreed.

But the 3Gs is noticeably faster.

6. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

It's dialup vs broadband...would you be happy with dialup?

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

more like a 250r vs a 650r

dialup to broadband is too much of a difference lol

8. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Get the latest technological device esp. on a smartphone...

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Get the 3GS, you wont regret spending the extra £87.11 at all. Personally I'd pay the £87.11 just for the anti-smudge coating on the screen! The compass is also invaluable for maps, video is handy, and the speed increase is extremely noticeable.

The 3G is a fantastic phone, but if you can afford it then you should definitely buy the 3GS.

10. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

i noticed such a huge jump in speed between the 3G and 3Gs. especially when switching to landscape keyboard, its actually usable now!!!

11. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

If you can get the 3GS. Then by all means, get the 3GS. That's all I can say.

12. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

if price isn't a factor, GET THE 3G S! the video alone makes it worth it, not to mention the faster internet and better camera

13. modit macrumors 6502

Get the 3GS if money isn't a problem (kinda know that you guys overseas are priced higher then in Canada). 3G is waaaayyy to slow to handle 3.0 firmware. If you plan on sending an important email without the application suddenly closing because it's out of memory, the 3GS can be a god-send in such a situation.

14. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

obviously if your getting a free 3g then it might be better financially for you.

if you plan to use it as an iPod too then id go for the 16gb or 32gb 3GS, again if money isnt a major issue. my first 3g was about £50 in euro on upgrade, where as my 3GS was £120! so £87 aint that much!

15. Advil macrumors 6502a

i just upgraded from 3g to 3gs the other day and it's definitely worth the money. awesome awesome device. sooo much faster too

16. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

I agree with what some people said above, "get what you can afford". Of course I'm only 15 so I got to upgrade from a 3G to a 3G-S as a birthday present.

Setting all of that aside, I really recommend the 3G-S. For just one more megapixel, the camera is A LOT BETTER. Auto focus is cool too. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems as if the touch screen was improved too(it registers all of my taps).

17. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Sorry if i repeat here as i haven't really read the thread.

I think the extra speed of the 3gs is very noticeable and if you are going to be paying for and using this thing for an 18 or 24 month contract I would get the latest and greatest.

18. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Just upgraded to 3Gs this weekend - from a 3G. There's a huge difference. Game play is so much smoother.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a ton of threads asking this very question.

It all boils down to which device fits your needs the best. The 3GS is faster, has more features, i.e., video camera, better camera etc. If none of those features mean much to you get the 3G.

I find that my 3GS is much faster, whether its navigating the UI or using an app then my wife's 3G and from that perspective I think its worth it but you need to way what's important to you and buy the unit that fits your needs and budget.

20. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If you can afford it the 3GS is an excellent phone. But, financials do come into play :)

21. reoreilly macrumors member

I was recently facing this same dilemma (although in Australia, and am using my iphone on prepaid). I ended up getting the 16GB 3GS - if it's a one-off payment that you can afford, I'd say it's worth doing.

But just another piece of advice - even if you can technically afford it, don't buy the 3GS if you're spending money you should really be spending on essentials. I've made this mistake many times, and the joy of having a top-of-the-line shiny new toy can be diminished when you realise you're going to be eating tinned tomatoes for a week because of it. ;)

22. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Seriously, he's getting a 3GS for 139$ USD. If 139$ USD makes or breaks the bank, then I seriously doubt getting a cellphone is a good idea in the first place. :rolleyes:

And priced higher than Canada ? 199$ Canadian 3GS or 99$ 3G is less expensive than his free 3G or 139$ USD 3GS ? Is math education really becoming this poor ?

23. modit macrumors 6502

Who know if the OP is a student or just a frugal person. Try getting a plan here for less then $70+tax without the mandatory $25+ data plan ($100 data cancellation fee). I pay exactly $45.57 canadian for my plan which includes Local My10 Student plan: 100 Weekday, 500 Incoming, 1000 Evenings/Weekends after 6pm with the now off market 6GB Data Plan.

------------
    Here is the cheapest iphone voice & data plan...

Monthly Fee $60+tax
    Voice Minutes Included 250
    Data Included 1GB ($25 for 500MB with any voice plan [$30 min voice]= 55+tax)
    MY5™ local (Unlimited Local Talk and Text Messaging to 5 Friends)
    Sent SMS Included 75
    Access to Rogers and Fido Hotspots Wifi Unlimited Unlimited
    Visual Voice Mail Included Included
    Additional Voice minutes 35¢/min 35¢/min
    Additional Data usage 3¢/MB 3¢/MB
    Additional Text messages 15¢/text 15¢/text

------------

Anyways, if I was a new customer getting a phone, I'd go with the 3GS since it should last you past the 4th Gen iPhone next year without the all the shortcomings and headaches of the 3G. Also the that you wouldn't be eligable for an upgrade by then anyways...

Good luck!

24. theking79 thread starter macrumors 6502

I ended up buying the 16GB 3GS.

I had to pay a £200 deposit on top of the £87 one off fee because i've got no credit history, I get the £200 back in 3 months.

Pics, rubbish picture quality, took with my old phone:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

yeah i got that old 100e deposit chestnut when i was in college, it sucks, but its basically paying a couple of months of your line rental ahead of time, they usually credit it to your account, so its not all bad!

enjoy the 3GS, its a beauty! :D:apple: