iPhone 3G or iPhone 1st Gen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aaquib, Jul 23, 2008.

1. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Im extremely confused about which to buy. I want to sell my 9 month old iPod Touch for $200 on eBay and then buy an iPhone. Now, I can either buy an iPhone 8GB(original) from Craigslist for $250, or buy an iPhone 3G on a 3 year contract for $225(after tax). The only reason I'm not jumping on the iPhone 3G is that the contract is really a HUGE drag. I'm not sure if I'll always have the iPhone activated. The real reason I want it is because its really a much better iPod Touch w/ its speaker, mic, and I'm interested in using the camera, in addition to EDGE or 3G network. I know I'll have to pay for the cell networks, but its a whole lot cheaper just choosing my own plan then getting killed by Rogers' 3 year iPhone plans. I want an iPhone, but I'm so confused about which one to get. The GPS and 3G will be great benefits to me, but the 3 year contract is driving me away from it. I think I'll be using it for 3 years, but I just hate having the obligation to be on a contract.

What do you think? Is 3G + GPS worth a 3 year contract from Rogers? Or should I just stay the safe route and get an iPhone 1st gen?

2. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I would get the new 3G and I am an original iPhone owner who LOVES my phone but I am about to upgrade

If you do get the original, you will still be perfectly happy

I am just getting 3G for the 3G service, bigger space, and GPS

3. cojac macrumors newbie

Go for the 1st Gen

I just bought a new unlocked and jailbroken 1.1.4 off ebay. I'm with Tmobile and I like it, not to mention it is much cheaper. I have a plan with two phones (one for my wife) sharing 1000 anytime anywhere minutes with free mobile to mobile and no nights & weekends for $50 per month. Can anyone beat that? Add the $6 Tzones plan and I'm happy. I can live without the GPS or 3G for now. I'm with you on avoiding the 2 and 3 year contracts... last I checked, Tmobile still offered one year contracts.

4. aaquib thread starter macrumors 65816

aaquib

How much was it on ebay? A quick search and I found auctions $500+ for 1.1.4 8gb!

5. cojac macrumors newbie

Go for the 1st Gen

I paid $390 with shipping.

6. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Go for a first GEN.. GPS isnt that good yet anyway on iPhone3G.. so forget it.. and just get the iPhoneEDGE,.,. original is always best...,,,

7. cojac macrumors newbie

Go for the 1st Gen

By the way, it was a 1.1.4, 8 gb. (replaced by apple under warranty). looked new in box to me.

8. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

The GPS is fine... IDK what more people want out of that, turn by turn can be added with a 3rd party app later down the road and probably will... (regardless of what the current EULA says)

3G is so much better then edge, I browed on a 3G network for the first time yesterday and I turned off the 3G (defaulted to edge) on one iPhone, and had the other iPhone on 3G. Loaded 2 pages at the same time... 3G was just so much faster... I was impressed. However when browsing 3G and using the GPS the battery takes a big hit.

If you want 3G and/or a GPS I dont see why not to go with the 3G. The special 6GB data plan isnt really that bad either.

If you dont need or want either of those go with the first gen...