iPhone 3G or iPhone 3G S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JamesGorman, Aug 4, 2009.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Hello Everyone,

Im in the market for a new phone and Im leaning towards getting an iPhone 3G. My reasoning for this is because I do not see my self needing the compass(do you need internet connection to use it, or can you use it with no data connection what-so-ever?) I don't take many videos or pictures with my phones, although it is nice to have. But I do not think I'll need the better 3.0 MP camera. Also, is the speed difference really noticable? And is it necessary?

Im open to getting either one, as I can get the 3G s for only 50 dollars more.

Has anyone else been in the same situation, And what did you end up doing?

Thanks.

2. ant131531 macrumors member

Yes, get the iPhone 3G S, the speed will make up for the 50 dollars you paid...iPhone 3G is considerbly slow...You will regret if you get an iPhone 3G.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The compass is entirely internal hardware: it works without any connection.

I had a 3G and now have a 3GS. The speed difference is massive and easily noticeable. I'd have the 3GS without a second thought.

4. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I thought the compass was separate hardware. That makes the idea of getting a 3G S a bit more enticing.

I have used a iPhone 3G before and it didn't seem to slow, but I love faster things, so if the speed is that much more noticeable it looks like ill be opting for the 3G s. The only thing is its out of stock everywhere in my city. I'll be buying online, and I have no idea how long it will be out of stock for there. Hopefully when I'm ready to get it in a couple weeks, it'll be there.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Congrats on your choice OP; keep us posted on its arrival....:cool:

6. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Ill keep you posted for sure. Like I said it will be a couple weeks before I get it. But I'll do a bit of a review when I receive it, and tell everyone what I think about it.

Thanks for the quick replies Guys:)

7. dns72 macrumors member

I was debating this too when I was looking to get an iphone. I went with the 3GS, and don't regret it one bit.

8. army91c macrumors 6502a

... Boxers or briefs? I usually go camando but have been wanting a bit more support.... Please help me make this life altering decision!

Ok, now that I got that off my chest. Go with the 3gs.

9. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Lol, I think thats exactly what I'm going to do.

10. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Also, Im going to be going with a 6GB data plan. That will be sufficient if I were to tether sometimes? I would only be doing regualr browsing. Possibly macrumors, and maybe some facebook. I know I could do that on the iPhone itself, but it may be easier to use the computer sometimes.

11. charliehustle macrumors 6502

3GS is better because if you jailbreak, it will not be sluggish..

I like not paying for apps...

12. charliehustle macrumors 6502

thats good,
    because without tethering, it would be almost impossible to reach that 6GB limit..

you should tether and get your monies worth..

13. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

my 3G S is noticeably faster than my ipod touch, and the ipod touch is right in between the iphone 3G and 3G S in terms of power/speed.

So I would assume the 3G S is alot faster then a 3G.

14. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

The plan is only 55 dollars and it includes, 300 anytime minutes, 6GB data, and unlimited txt msging. Im also throwing in an iPhone package that gives me caller id, visual voicemail, and 150 extra minutes for 20 dollars more a month. So with all that and system access and 911 fees it comes to 82.xx a month. Which I think is reasonable.

15. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Lol, although I have jail broken iPod touch's in the past, Im not quite sure I'll be jail breaking my iPhone. At least not right off the bat.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Go with the 3GS. You won't regret it. Try them both side by side and you'll see the speed difference. Don't bother with the older over 1 year old model.

17. egk69 macrumors 6502

Get the 3GS, it just a few $ more but its IMHO 1000 times better than the 3G!, man just the Speed doing stuff in the OS worth the money!!:D

18. kousuke18 macrumors regular

I can tell you first hand that the faster speed on the 3gs is well worth the upgrade! (previously had a 3g)

19. nfl46 macrumors 603

20. iDeve1oper macrumors member

I have to agree the speed is really a treat. Not to mention the new voice and video capabilities.

But you can get the 3G for $250 on Craigs list lol. So price can be a factor.

21. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Thanks again for all the replies. I definitely think I'll be going with the 3G S.

Keep the replies coming folks. If anyone has any piece of information they'd like to add, I'd love to read it.:D

22. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Price is not a factor at all for me. Ill be getting a White 16gb iPhone either way.

The 3g is 149.99 on a three year plan & the 3G S is 199.99 on a 3 year plan.

Its only a 50 dollar difference, and I think its definitely worth it.

23. Christopher8258 macrumors newbie

I'm just going to wait for next year. The speed would be nice, but I think there will be a big upgrade to the iphone in June. Well that's just my opinion.

24. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

That could very well be true, But someone stepped on my blackberry so I have no choice but to get a new phone within the next couple weeks. If a new iPhone comes I'll just get an upgrade in a year or so.

25. army91c macrumors 6502a

For those debating on waiting to upgrade or doing it now and missing out on next years upgrade... Do what I do.
    1. Get a wife
    2. Buy her iPhone one year after you buy yours
    3. Update your phone
    4. Use your brother's update to buy her 3gs (bought him a $100 phone because his wife won't let him have iPhone anymore, which was my old 2g anyway)
    5. Use Mother in laws update to buy another 3gs because she has been using the wifes old 2g and will now get the hand me down 3g, which is actually brand new because it was just replaced for dust under the screen
    6. Use wife's update that comes up in March of 2010 to buy the "New" iPhone

It's really simple if you think about it!

Wait, what do I do with the other 3gs I will buy.......New #5. Hold onto mother in laws update to get wife new iPhone when it comes out, give mil hand me down 3gs.... Ok that's better.