Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
I haven't had the best of luck with my iPhone 3G and am considering leaving AT&T because the service is just bad in my area. I know I bought the phone subsidized, so what will happen if I cancel my contract early? Will I have to pay for the remaining price for the phone on top of the ETF?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
If it's like all other ETFs, here's what it is for AT&T:

$175 ETF, but take $5 off that for each month you have been with them.

iPhone's may be higher due to the extreme subsidy, so I'd just call them and ask. They might start offering you the world like AOL used to do (a bazillion free minutes!!!). Best to just call the AT&T folks. They've usually been very good to me.

CoolMacDude

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
I haven't had the best of luck with my iPhone 3G and am considering leaving AT&T because the service is just bad in my area. I know I bought the phone subsidized, so what will happen if I cancel my contract early? Will I have to pay for the remaining price for the phone on top of the ETF?

I know if you cancel in 30 days you don't have to pay it. That doesn't help you since you are over 30. I would call and explain the situation. If they still try to charge you a steep fee always ask to talk to someone higher up. Explain the situation. Try to be polite but firm. If you start in hard they instantly go on the defensive. Its likely its going to be expensive to get out of. You could sell the phone to offset the cost though. I am not aware of a way to unlock the 3G version of the phone so it wouldn't be of any use anyway. Best of luck in whatever you decide. It sucks there service isn't good in your area because after having my first iPhone and now the 3G I couldn't ever imagine going back to a blackberry or Windows Mobile phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.