iPhone 3g owner upgradability

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dand1996, Jun 1, 2009.

1. dand1996 macrumors regular

So everyone who got the 3g at the subsidzed price of $200 is not due for an upgrade yet from AT&T and won't be in a month when the new iPhone comes out.

Will Steve leave us users out in the cold and force us to buy an unsubsidized new iPhone in order to upgrade or will AT&T allow all iPhone owners to upgrade phones at a subsidized price as long as we sign another contract???

Any thoughts?

Since many current users will be upgrading I don't think Steve or AT&T will screw us over

2. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Phone companies don't do early upgrades. Why should the iPhone be any different? They may work out some kind of deal, but I wouldn't count on it.

As an iPhone 3G owner, I am fully expecting to pay the 399/499 pricing scheme for ineligible customers that they currently run for the iPhone when the new one hits the streets this summer. If it's cheaper, fantastic. Although I won't complain if they won't allow me to upgrade. ATT is not a charity, they will get their money, one way or another, just like Apple.

3. britboyj macrumors 6502a

I bet it will be tiered.

If you're not eligible for the $199 (or whatever) it will likely be the +$200 scheme we have currently.

Normal upgrade: $199/$299
    "Early" upgrade: $399/$499
    Full price: $HOWMUCH?!/$YOU'REFINGKIDDINGME!!

4. bjquach macrumors 6502

Exactly mrtune, I wouldn't be surprised if I had to pay 399/499 for an iPhone. I would be more than happy to do that. I'd rather pay than have them say you can't upgrade whatsoever.

But if they do something special for existing 3G owners, then hooray!

5. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I hope and pray that the new iPhone will cost me at most $350, since I won't be upgrade eligible.

6. bjquach macrumors 6502

Assuming Apple still has the current pricing, you'll be paying either 399/499 for non eligible people.

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

SEARCH and you will find the answer

8. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

Phone Upgrade
    As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on xx/xx/20xx

9. pablo7 macrumors 6502

I called ATT today asking about ETF fee's since i'm thinking of keeping sprint if I don't get the new 09 Iphone and to my suprise the guy i was talking to said I was eligible for an early upgrade on the current 3g for 299$ with a new 2-yr. contract even though I started my contract in Oct. 08 maybe there just trying to clear out remaining stock or something, last I check about a month ago they wanted 499$. I wonder but highly doubt they'll let me upgrade with the full subsidized price once the new iphone comes out.:confused:

10. Lord Egregious macrumors member

What about if I didn't get an iphone till last summer but it was the original iphone? I grabbed one off ebay after the announcement of the iPhone 3G (No 3G within 150 miles of where I live). I understand that I didn't get a subsidized phone so I feel like I should be able to get this at the discount if I choice but you guys seem like experts so I figured I'd ask here.