iPhone 3G Packaging To Be Eco-Friendly

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 1, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's iPhone 3G will be encased in environmentally-friendly packaging according to a Dutch blog and translated by The Register.

The report suggests that Apple has contracted Dutch company PaperFoam to create the insert which holds the iPhone. The insert would be 100% recyclable and made from natural resources, either potato starch or Tapioca starch.

The company has been previously contracted by Apple to make foam inserts for the 5G iPod and second generation Nano.

[​IMG]

Image Courtesy PaperFoam.com
    Apple has stepped up efforts to make its product packaging environmentally friendly over the years, primarily by reducing the packaging size as much as possible to reduce their footprint in landfills. More information regarding Apple's environmental policy is available on Apple's website.

Article Link

2. sebimeyer macrumors member

The smaller the packaging, the more of their Widgets can fit on a shipping container and the more they can fit onto shelves in their stores, or store storage rooms. This translates into both cheaper transport, as well as saved fuels.

It's a win/win for Apple.

3. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Good stuff!

Now get rid of all the nasty chemicals inside the iPhone and I'll be happy :cool:

4. 0098386 Suspended

So my 5G iPod box will eventually dissolve on my shelf?

5. cryo macrumors member

They said fully recyclable, not 100% biodegradable! :)

6. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Oooohhhh.... biodegradable would be cool!

Or better yet...EDIBLE packaging! Once you open it, you can eat it! Waste is then dealt with in an all new way... :D

7. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

How stupid.

Apple packaging never makes it to a landfill, as evidenced by all the picture threads of the box collections that some people have.

And yes, I'm one of them. :p

iPhone
    Mini G4
    iPod Shuffle
    .Mac
    iWork 08
    OS X Leopard
    Airport Extreme
    Wireless Keyboard

Hey Steve, release a new Mini so I can add a box to the shelf!

8. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

The second generation nano had a plastic box with no foam inserts. I think you mean the first generation nano, as shown in the pictures on their website.

9. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

So let me get this right... Mr. Jobs claimed that the new iMac's went to Aluminum, because its more eco-friendly (e.g recycling). However, with the new iPhone, they went away from Aluminum, a material by Apple own admission is easier to recycle, to a less friendly plastic material. So, yes they very well might have a better packaging scheme, but they have a less environmentally conscious design as well.

10. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

I too want edible packaging! Come on Apple, I want apple flavoured packaging!

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Well there is a difference. The aluminum back on the 3G iPhone was scrapped because aluminum weakens the cell signal and especially causes interference with the 3G antenna. It's not unlike the poor Wi-Fi reception of the original TiBooks. The metal case killed the Wi-Fi signal. So while Apple is trying to be enviro-conscious they aren't going to do so at the expense of their own business when there is an acceptable alternative (plastic).

12. ben5959 macrumors regular

whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

cares!

13. joeconvert macrumors 6502

We all should. And we should insist this from all companies. Granted Apple's green track record is pretty spotty, but at least they are making some changes.

14. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

mmmm

Potato and Tapioca starch???

I might have to buy an iPhone 3G just to taste this delicious packaging!!

**drool**

15. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

way to go apple. kick some ass and save some trees doing it!

16. wako macrumors 65816

i for one do not care about eco-friendly crap...

in my chemistry lab, i poor down heavy metals in the drain because i dont give a crap

and all you tree huggers can hate me for it

17. york2600 macrumors regular

york2600

A) Your an idiot

B) Pouring them down the drain is what they want you to do. It gets treated that way. We got that lesson the first day at Hippy Univeristy in Chem. The waste treatment plant specifically asked for it that way.

18. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Now that's an idea! :D

:rolleyes:

19. SamWhittaker macrumors newbie

It's nice to see Apple going along with the times, being Green is nice for their PR.

I can see them competing to get up Greenpeace's Green Tech. Companies :D

20. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

you're a crappy chemist. you don't follow protocols. something will blow up in your face one day.

21. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Nice to know it's eco-friendly.

Unfortunately, I keep all the boxes of everything I buy (especially Apple...simple design, but it's like art). :)

22. airlights macrumors regular

That's pretty neat actually... but I never throw out my Apple packaging. I am sure I still have my 6GB Green iPod mini box somewhere around my house. Heh.

23. darkwing macrumors 65816

You're. :rolleyes:

Thanks for doing your part to raise fuel prices and drive another 30,000,000 people into poverty with increased food prices, Apple! Let's just keep using food to do oil's job.

24. wako macrumors 65816

rofl... im glad im not the only one that thought that :D

25. mixel macrumors 68000

mixel

I hope you're joking.. Haha increased food prices. Mmm potato and Tapioca starch..

:rolleyes: "Oil's Job" is an incredibly recent thing and we need to cut down on it as much as possible. However much there is left is irrelevent, if we're exhausting it on totally pointless crap that's totally irresponsible and wrong. We might well need it for something important later.. Our dependance on oil has to be decreased in any way possible.

Potatoes and Tapioca are easily renewable at least. Also give farmers more to work with.