iPhone 3G Partially Unresponsive after Back Cover Replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by reMacs, Aug 14, 2010.

1. reMacs macrumors newbie

I gutted my 3G iPhone 8GB last night to install a new candy apple red back housing. When I purchase the iPhone a couple weeks ago, it had a broken home button and cracked back housing, so I thought this would give me a chance to escape my Macbook repairs and branch into iPhone repairs, too.

So, I purchased a new home button and back cover from eBay. I then followed iFixit tear down instruction to remove all components from back cover, and then reinstalled them in reverse order into the new back cover.

I then proceeded to tear apart the screen assembly to install the home button. Despite the home button be a little crooked, and that it doesn't really click properly, everything went back together okay.

Then after I attempted to reinstall the LCD assembly, the iPhone would not display anything. However, the vibrate button activates the vibration mechanism (with and without LCD assembly attached), so I know logic board is functional (or do I?) Also, when the LCD assembly was off, I removed the logic board connecter and reinstalled that repeatedly. When I did that, the vibration mechanism momentarily sounded.

Also, I did tinker with the on-off button and home button combo after assembly. Nothing turned on, though.

A friend suggested a new LCD. So, I figured I'd try swap it out with my wife's iPhone 3G 8GB assembly (nobody tell, please!!). Then after taking the LCD assembly off, installing another one still nothing displayed. Thankfully, when reinstalling my wife's LCD her LCD displayed as original.

So at this point is what I know:

1) The iPhone was fully operational before disassembly (minus home button)
    2) The vibration switch activates
    3) The vibration switch activates when removing/reattaching motherboard connecter (the silver attachment).
    4) I got a cool looking back housing, but no iPhone yet!! LOL!
    5) The LCD assembly is good, as I tested it in another iPhone 3G 8B.

Questions I have a this point:

1) Is this a software or hardware related issue?
    2) Is there a ground somewhere in the back cover assembly that failed to touch/connect when installing new back cover?
    3) Is there some sort of reset I need to do after disconnecting motherboard?
    4) Do I have to follow the numbers when dislocating/reattaching connectors?

Any assistance would be helpful! Thanks!

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

first off your iPhone is on and that is why nothing works! you should never have it on when connection the lcd assembly. did you put the real nice plastic chrome bezel on with the aftermarket red back? yes there is a ground and they are attached to the motherboard.

answer these and then I will tell you more based on your answers.

3. reMacs thread starter macrumors newbie

First, thanks for the response.

Actually, I did turn it off when disassembling the iPhone. Problem was after I got everything re-installed, I fired it up. But nothing happened. That's how my phone got turned on. I couldn't figure out how to turn it off without sliding the bar. And of course, nothing was displaying so I couldn't slide it off.

And yes, I did received the plastic bezel, but I chose not to use it because the bezel in the kit I bought did not have a bracket to attach the vibrator to, so I opted to reinstall the factory bezel instead. I figured I couldn't just leave the vibrator flopping around in there.

So that leaves me with a couple questions:

1) How do I turn the phone off without being able to slide it off?
    2) What is my next step?

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

ok good on both....

#1 NEVER MESS WITH YOUR WIFES PHONE!!
    #2 to turn it off now you need to unplug #4 and remove the entire board for a minute. while it is removed made sure you have a contact on the lower right hand side. this will need to touch the chrome bezel when you install it. thats why I asked about the plastic bezel. you can thow it away cause it is useless. make sure you have the headphone jack cable installed correctly cause this can cause issues as well. this connects the on/off button, volume button, vibrate button, wifi, etc. this can be a bear to replace/install even for someone who does it often. make sure you put every screw back in when installing the board. now when everything is installed and you install the lcd assembly make sure they are snapped in correctly cause the lcd like to come unplugged. also make sure #3 is in and you close the snap cover on it but be careful! now plug in #4 and close the lcd on the phone. install bottom screws cause the home button may not work unless you do. now hold home button and power button down at the same time until you have the apple logo appear. for some reason alot of times this is the only way the lcd will turn on when you have taken the board out. hopefully this will take care of your issue.

5. reMacs thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it worked! "Another one bites the dust!!" "Whose ye'r daddy!" "Watch out Vegas here we come!"

I did just as you said. Took out the LCD assembly, unplugged everything, removed the board for a bit and then reinstalled, and inserted #4 last and it fired right up! Sweet. Now my wife will only think I'm half an idiot for trying this! :D

So now I'm left to get the new home button working, which is the main reason why I disassembled the phone to begin with. The new home button is not clicking properly. Maybe I've not got it centered correctly. I'll check some forums and youtube videos for some tricks on that.

Thanks again!

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

great now on to the home button...

#1 NEVER MESS WITH YOUR WIFES IPHONE
    #2 if you look on the back of the home button you will see a diagram. now the home button itself never goes out or needs replaced. but the sensor cable that hooks to it is what goes bad. when putting the new ribbon cable on it match up the diagram on the back of the button with how the ribbon cable is designed to match up. you will have to remove the glass from the frame for this to be replaced. simply use a heat gun or blow dryer on low heat and heat up the glue all the way around the glass and use a plastic tool to remove the glass without breaking it so you can reuse it. now you can replace the ribbon cable but you will need new adhesive to reapply the glass to the frame. if you scratch the underside of the glass in the black it will show up real bad when you put it back together so you need to use a black marker and color the scratch from the bottom and you wont see it when you put it back together!
    #3 NEVER MESS WITH YOUR WIFES IPHONE

7. imagelee macrumors newbie

Read this to get your HOME BUTTON WORK

When you reassemble, you need to make sure the speaker parts that show in the picture go above the hole of bezel. Otherwize the home button will not work and inserting charger will be difficult too.

[​IMG]