IPhone 3g Pay as you go UK Price drop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tomjdavies, Jan 16, 2009.

1. tomjdavies macrumors member

I owned an original iPhone, and wasn't too impressed with it, moving back to a Nokia N95 8gb. I had a go on my mates 3g though the other day, and was really impressed. Reckon there will be any chance of a price drop anytime soon? I'm loving the look of the White 16gb :D

Just £400 is steep...

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Probably not. £400 is better than £780 which it would cost you on contract. £400 is pretty standard for a high end smartphone

3. Agent-W macrumors member

I work for O2 on payg and havn't heard of any price drop, or anything along them lines.

To be honest, the iPhone on payg is selling as expected, and bringing in alot of people from different networks, so I can't see any need on our side for the price to be lowered.

Thanks

4. tomjdavies thread starter macrumors member

Ah thanks for the response guys. I'm needing to step up from an 8gb Nano and a touch would be £200+ for the 16gb one... probably a good investment £400. Now to save up! :apple:

5. kolax macrumors G3

Sorry, but apart from a black plastic casing and 3G/GPS built in, what is so different to the 3G that's changed your mind from your original iPhone?

Or is it the 2.0 software update with Apps that's changed your mind?

6. tomjdavies thread starter macrumors member

Well Kilamite, it feels far less bulky than the original, and definitely feels lighter, although it could be deceptive. And yes, the 2.0 software is fantastic. I was using the pre 2.0 version, and I couldn't upgrade because I was using it unlocked. Also, the internet speeds are great, something the original was poor with. I also didn't have unlimited browsing which limited usage, whereas with an O2 contract or pay as you go you get unlimited surfing which is a massive plus! :cool:

7. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

8. tomjdavies thread starter macrumors member

Well that £9 saving was spent down the pub earlier :p

9. kolax macrumors G3

Hope you went to Weatherpoons - 99p a pint of IPA :D

They know how to deal with a recession ;)

10. KBV1 macrumors regular

KBV1

if you buy the iphone 3g on PAYG... is it locked on o2 or can it be used on any network?

11. NStocks macrumors 65816

Good question. Although I'm not sure what other networks offer in terms of internet service and 3G pricing. ( after the first 12 motnhs )

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It is locked to O2.

13. tomjdavies thread starter macrumors member

Wetherspoons is a personal favourite! Not too keen on the old Greene King though... but price overrides any beer preference :D

As for other networks and pricing, you'd probably have to pay about £15 a month on top of credit for free browsing on paygo. As it is after the initial 12 months free with 02. I've been on vodafone user for ages and their 3G is great. I don't think its worth unlocking a £G iPhone though, based on previous experience.