Iphone 3G plans question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmag, Jul 24, 2008.

1. dmag macrumors newbie

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just have a few simple questions that I hope someone can help me out with. I've been wanting an Iphone for quite some time, knowing how Apple is with pushing out new products all the time I opted to wait for the second generation of Iphone. I'm currently on a T-mobile family plan, but am contemplating going ahead and starting a new contract under AT&T and getting a 3G iphone. I was weary to purchase a 3G, as opposed to just getting a 1st gen and unlocking it for t-mobile, until my cousin came over and had perfect 3G reception on her little crappy phone, so I'm hoping the Iphone would get just as good reception, so why not finally pull the trigger?

My questions are just to get a little more info about the plans, and I know you guys aren't att reps, but hopefully you can give me some insight. I'm looking to go with the 450 minute plan. I don't usually use that many minutes anyway, most of my time is spent at night talking to my girlfriend. Currently we both have T-mobile so it's no big deal, however if I go with the 450 plan with the 5000 weekend/night minutes, I was wondering do those minutes rollover as well? Or is it just the 450 minutes? Or is it possible to just add on unlimited weekend/night minutes for extra? We do talk for long periods of time at night, so that's my main concern. She'll hopefully be switching to att in the near future anyways.

I don't really think I'd end up going over really, but just to be on the safe side, I just want to know whether i should go with the 450 or just cover my ass and bump it up with the 900...I just don't see myself remotely using anywhere near 900 minutes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Guitar7272 macrumors member

I have the plan you speak of and AT&Ts FAQs lead me to believe that only your anytime minutes will roll over. If you review your past bills for usage and the 5000 night time minutes are a problem just get the next package up and be done with it. You might even want to start with the 900 minute package and review your usage after a couple of months.

Rollover® Minutes
    All rate plans are not created equal
    AT&T proudly offers Rollover® Minutes. That means if you don't talk as much one month, AT&T lets you keep your unused minutes for next month.* Rollover Minutes are unused, accumulated, Anytime Minutes that carry over from month to month for up to 12 billing periods. The benefits to you, our customer, is that you can keep unused Anytime Minutes and use them when it's convenient for you. You can avoid paying Additional Minute charges by using your accumulated Rollover Minutes instead. Rollover Minutes are handy for those times in your life when you need more minutes.

Rollover Minutes are available on certain individual and FamilyTalk price plans.

*Unused Rollover Minutes expire after the 12th billing period of the month minutes have been accumulated. Night and Weekend, and Mobile to Mobile Minutes not included.

3. CrosshairDF2 macrumors member

Early nights starts at 7PM instead of 9PM

You could also try adding early nights and weekends for $8.99.

How It Works

Apply your Early Night & Weekend Minutes to calls made from your AT&T device between the hours of 7 p.m. and 7 a.m., Monday through Friday. Calls must be from within your plan calling area.

4. PcEhAoCsE macrumors newbie

Yes, only the 450 anytime minutes roll over. Let's say that she did switch over at the same time as you to AT&T. Even though you both are on the same network, the fact that you have 450 minutes (which includes 5000 Night/Weekend minutes) means that before your unlimited mobile-to-mobile minutes are 'used' time will be taken from the 5000). At least, this is what is stated on their website...

5. dmag thread starter macrumors newbie

So let me get this straight. Even if she does eventually switch over to att, unlimited mobile to mobile minutes wouldn't be used until after I've burnt through the 5000 minutes? That doesn't make any sense to me, what's the point of having unlimited mobile to mobile minutes?

On a side note, after finally getting the t-mobile website to work, I took a gander at my usage time on there, and I don't come anywhere close to using 5000 minutes a month, so I should be good with that plan. If someone can just verify what PcEhAoCsE said, I'd appreciate it. Cause that doesn't make any sense to me, and if that's the case I might have to re-think this whole decision.

6. Guitar7272 macrumors member

As whacky as that sounds, yes it appears thats how it works... My usage will never even touch that (5,000 minutes equals about 2.7 hours a night) but it still seems kinda beat.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-..._dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=52732&isSrch=Yes

Question:
    In what order is my airtime billed?

How are my minute buckets determined?

How are my minutes billed?
    Answer:

If your rate plan was offered by AT&T on or after February 1, 2004, your airtime is categorized and deducted from your account for billing purposes, based on the following priorities:

Priority Status Type of Airtime Minutes
    First: Night & Weekend Minutes (unlimited Night & Weekend minutes are deducted before capped Night & Weekend minutes)
    Second: Mobile to Mobile Minutes (unlimited Mobile to Mobile Minutes are deducted before capped Mobile to Mobile Minutes)
    Third: Anytime or Package Minutes
    Fourth: Bonus Rollover Minutes
    Fifth: Accumulated Rollover Minutes

7. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

M2M minutes do not affect N&W minutes as they are separate "buckets".

That above priority status seems a little out of whack too. I know for a fact bonus minutes get used before anytime minutes.

From my experience the priority of minutes is as follows:

M2M
    N&W
    Bonus
    Anytime
    Rollover