iPhone 3G Pricing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lukeman3000, May 22, 2008.

1. lukeman3000 macrumors regular

So I want to get a 3G iPhone, but the 3G service isn't really in my area (yet). What I'm wondering is if I will still be charged as if I am using the 3G service even if I have it turned off on the phone?

For example, the data plan on iPhone right now is what, like 20 dollars? And supposedly it will be 40 dollars for the 3G service. If I'm not using 3G, is it reasonable to assume that I would not be charged as such?

2. neven macrumors 6502a

I haven't read anything credible about the data plan going up to $40, and I don't see it happening either. It's likely not to change - if anything, they might offer a cheaper plan.

iPhone plans include unlimited data, whether you use it or not. I don't believe it's possible to have an iPhone with AT&T without the data plan.

3. sananda macrumors 68020

why do you think that?

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Data is data whether it's 3G or EDGE. I imagine the data plan pricing will remain the same. But it's still all very much up in the air, no one here will be able to give you solid information as no one here has any. And I don't know where you got that $40 data plan from...

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

It is.

6. rayward macrumors 65816

Yes, but I bet that won't be the case. You pay for cellular service even if you wander into an area with no coverage, so I'm sure that AT&T will see the fact that you can't get 3G as being your problem, not theirs.

However, you may be able to elect not to have the 3G service, just good ol' EDGE, and pay the lower price. I don't think we'll know AT&T's pricing policy until Steve announces it on June 9 ("i2"?) It depends whether they see a broad market in people who will want the new iPhone for reasons other than 3G.

7. neven macrumors 6502a

I posted without checking; thanks.

Still, I don't think you'd be able to exclude 3G and maintain only 3G on your plan. Even if you did, it would still likely cost the same.

8. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Not a single 3G phone has a more expensive data plan than ots EDGE counterpart. I doubt they'll start with the iPhone...

9. lukeman3000 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok well here's where I got my information... My job pays the bill for my phone, which was previously an AT&T 8525. So we have a "business" account with AT&T. I called the customer service for small businesses at AT&T and inquired about pricing on the new 3G iPhone.

At first, I WAS told that it would be $20 -- in other words, that it would not change. But, then I was told something completely different (by the same person no less). The woman I was speaking to said she saw something about how "enterprise" accounts (business accounts I guess) would incur the $40 charge for data, for some reason or another. It was never clear, and I don't even think she knew exactly what she was talking about, but who knows.

Obviously yeah I'm hoping it won't change from $20 because that's very affordable when you don't have to pay for voice. $40 is still easily do-able, but obviously the lower price is more desirable. Here's hoping it stays the same.

10. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Well, now that you mention business enterprise account, they do cost more, but AT&T was offer a short term rebate so that the cost comes out to be the same as personal. Maybe she was saying that the price rebate was going to be dropped. I am on a business account, but personal business due to the discount I get via my work and I am charged as a personal account. So I won't see an increase when they drop the rebate.