iPhone 3G problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iPone, Nov 30, 2010.

1. iPone macrumors newbie

Yesterday I tried to update my iPhone 3G to the new 4.2 software. I am currently running the latest version of iTunes.
    Halfway through, it came up with an error notice and then stopped the upload. My iPhone now just comes up with the plug into itunes symbol whenever I turn it on.

So I do, but if I plug it in, it doesnt show up in iTunes along the left hand side, so I can't fix it!

Please help, I've tried restarting my computer (running Windows XP) but to no avail. Will I have to reinstall iTunes?

Oh, and my phone isnt jailbroken or anything like that.

Cheers,

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Connect your iPhone to your computer.

Hold down power and home button until iTunes picks up your iPhone.

Your iPhone is now in DFU mode. Restore.

3. iPone thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I've tried this and iTunes still isnt picking it up, however iv tried in another computer and iTunes picked it up, it told me that it was in Recovery mode. I didn't want to restore it on that iTunes account as all my info is on my PC. Can I restore it on the other computer, then transfer the data onto it from my own iTunes once it's working again?

Thanks

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You're fine. Restore your iPhone on that computer since it picks it up. Then just sync it up to the computer with all your data on it.