iPhone 3G Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by teaguecole, Apr 7, 2009.

1. teaguecole macrumors member

I have an iPhone 3G fully updated and not jailbroken. Right now when someone calls me or I make a call the person can not hear me but I can hear them perfectly fine. I know this is not an issue with service because I have tried many places with full bars and have the problem. I have reset my phone too and did not fix the problem. I know my phone is NOT water damaged because I checked the indicator and I know it's not been in water. However I also know that if I use iTalk application by Griffin I can record my voice. So the mic does work. The only way I can make people hear me is if I use speakerphone.

However, I want to take it to the ATT store and get a replacement. However I bought this phone off eBay brand new and I have ATT but I dont pay for the unlimited data because I am in college have wifi over campus. That is why I bought it off ebay. But, since they know sell them without the contract now do you think they will replace them if you don't have the iPhone plan but you are with ATT.

2. Dan in PA macrumors regular

This happened to me once, the phone thought it still had headphones plugged into it. I plugged and unplugged them a bunch of times, and the issue was resolved.

3. abarna21 macrumors regular

call apple iphone support, try with them, and if they can not help you over the phone, they will make an appointment for you to go and see a Genius over Apple Store.
    hope this helps.

4. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Could be a defective mic... not sure what it could be besides that

5. teaguecole thread starter macrumors member

its not defective because the mic works when i use a voice recording application and if i turn it on speaker phone the the caller can hear me.

6. KUKitch macrumors regular

KUKitch

I actually had that same problem as well, and after awhile it just went back to normal... I never thought to check if it thought the headphones were still plugged in, but for a couple days I couldn't talk without using speaker and then all of a sudden it was fine again.

7. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem...

I could hear people when using the headphones but they could not hear me and on speakerphone I could hear them and they could not hear me.

I did jailbreak and everything worked fine for a month then the problem started with the headphone mic. I restored as new (did not re-jailbreak) and the problem persisted, then the speakerphone issue started.

I cleaned out the headphone jack, reset my sim card, plugged and unplugged my headphones and nothing seemed to fix it.

I called apple and they sent me a replacement phone that works - they overnight it to you.

I can only assume it was a hardware issue since the speakerphone began to fail as well - but it does make me wonder about jailbreaking and also about the quality of the hardware in the phone since I have had mine since launch and it hasnt been that long.

8. teaguecole thread starter macrumors member

Well, there are no apple stores in Greenville NC so I went to the ATT store and they do not do replacements no matter what the circumstance is. I plan on going home from college this weekend to Cary and go to the apple store there. The only thing is I don't pay for the unlimited media plan, I just have normal ATT service. I got the phone brand new off eBay for 520 which is cheaper than they sell it now. But since they sell iPhone's contract free I wonder if they will replace it. Atleast I am an ATT user and I don't jailbreak or anything. I am also contemplating whether if I just wait till 3.0 and see if that fixes it. I am definitely not the only person with the problem and people have gotten their iPhones replaced and still had the problem again. However I usually text more than anything so it hasn't really bothered me to bad and using speakerphone isn't that big of a pain unless I need privacy. I feel like apple is overrated in terms of quality of their products sometimes. First my new iMac has light bleeding issues that happens with just about all the new iMacs, and now my iPhone has this problem.

9. teaguecole thread starter macrumors member

I am 100 percent confident it is not a hardware issue. The mic works with voice recording applications and in speakerphone. I feel like if the mic was broken I wouldn't be able to record my voice. If anything is faulty it is the EDGE/3G chip that allows you to make and receive calls through the service. But then again I doubt that because a lot of people have said in other forums that replacing their phone didn't fix the problem and it happened again.