Iphone 3g question traveling in europe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by morethanblood, May 10, 2009.

1. morethanblood macrumors member

hey,

so i'm going to europe for three weeks and figured i would bring my phone and keep it on air plane mode to use as an ipod and possibly even for wifi. however i was wondering....

i bought an 85 watt step down transformer to plug into the wall and not blow my phone up, is this necessary/will it actually prevent my phone from blowing up?

and will i even be able to get wifi on my phone over there, a friend of mine was saying that the wifi in europe is slightly different

thanks in advance

2. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

I wouldn't bother with getting a step down for your existing charger.
    Instead, just get an English iPhone charger. It'll be far smaller, and more practical. In fact, all you need to change is the little wall plug bit on the end of the charger, which pulls off.

I live in England, and WiFi coverage here is not huge, although you can usually find a premium point quite easily.

3. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I've never heard anything like this before, I'm pretty sure you're fine. I live in Scotland and there is no free wifi ever unless I'm on a university campus.

You can usually find it in cafes etc but often for a price. Don't know about Europe outside the UK though

And NewGenAdam's right. Just by the right heads for your charger.

4. JCastro macrumors 6502a

The charger that comes with the iPhone is capable of handling any voltage between 100-240v. Like everyone else is saying. All you need is a plug convertor to fit the EU power outlet. You should be able to find one at any travel type store less than $10.

Here is a picture of two of the ones that I use along with the iPhone plug. Obviously I like the smallest one I can find for traveling. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

5. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Be sure to get the correct plug adapter for the country you will visit. The ones in the picture in the previous post are for the continent of Europe. UK plugs are different.