Iphone 3g questions and help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fenderbass146, Mar 16, 2009.

1. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Ok here is my plan, I am getting a tmobile plan in may. with 300 minutes and myfavs.. also the 100mb data plan and unlimited txting. about $60 a month

As of right now I will be buying a iphone 3g 8gb on friday. (only cost me $180 and i already sold my touch for $150)
    I am assuming it is the current version. (I will find out tomorrow)

I would like to know if it is possible to jailbreak this and use it without a sim card (just as an ipod touch basically) intill i actually switch to tmobile.

Also I belive I am going to go with a turbosim card once i switch to tmobile (unless they come out with away around the modem firmware update)

Can anyone tell me if any of this is not going to work...

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

No.

Your phone will display "No SIM Installed" or something along that line. You will not be able to use any of the features until you have a valid SIM card.

3. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

can someone confirm this. i have heard people saying i can use it as just an ipod if i dont have a sim card. and now this guy says i cant

4. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Maybe...

If I understand correctly, you want to use this plan on your iPhone? I think this will work on the 2.1.1 firmware, but not on the new 3.0, or not yet.

I did a post somewhat like this. See if this post helps.

5. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Just an iPod?

If you have a SIM card in there you can use it as the regular phone. Without it , yes it functions as an iPod Touch.