iPhone 3G Questions! Please Read / Help if Possible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macnator, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Macnator macrumors 6502

Hello to everyone. :)

If I got an iPhone (In Canada), which one of the two Data Plans would you recommend:

$25 - 500MB / month
    $30 - 1GB / month

I will use Fring to chat with my MSN buddies, Facebook App, Weather Apps occasionally, Light to Medium amounts of web-surfing, Some Twitter (Twitter App), basically Apps that use data.

I will never stream online radio, or stream other media, never use email on the iPhone, most likely never use Google Maps/GPS, will never watch YouTube videos 99% of the time.

I will use Wi-Fi at my house, and whenever possible.

So, which of those two 'Data Plans' would you guys recommend for me?

Also, does turning off 3G in settings make the iPhone use EDGE only? That would probably help with data usage.

Thanks to everyone. It is very very much appreciated! :D

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Get it from Rogers and save some money.

Rogers introduced a new value pack back in November:

$30
    500mb data
    10,000 SMS
    Caller ID
    Visual Voicemail
    Who Called

I'm almost positive that Fido does not offer this, however if you are going to be getting caller ID and such, I would suggest going with the above^

3. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

Well with Rogers, they have the System Access Fee, and Fido from what I see on their site does not.

But, we can bundle the iPhone with our other services we have with rogers. We have Internet, Cable TV, Home Phone, with them. So we can save some money with it bundled.

But, I cannot seem to find that $30 value pack. I can find a $35 with the features you listed but with Unlimited text.

So if you can link to it that would be great!.

Also, do you think $500MB of data would be enough for me, what I would do with it?

4. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

Seriously, I find it very very difficult to max out my 1GB data / mth. And Im a pretty hard core on - the - go user of 3G. On transport I whip out facebook / emails / surf random websites. From 8am to 10pm daily, I find that I will need to charge my phone once or twice in the process due to how much battery is drained from 3G usage. And I only managed to chalk up ard 600 - 750 MB / mth. If you're not a heavy user like I am, I'ld hazard the 500MB is sufficient for u.

The question really is, if you go for the 1GB, can your battery sustain the usage in ur normal course of daily utilization? U will definitely have to lug ard a portable battery pack like I do or have ur data cable ready to juice it on whenever u have a terminal around.

5. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

Re-wrote my Original Post. It was way too long I figured. So, is there anyone that can give me so help / advice on this? I really want to know here! :D