iphone 3g radio power

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phoneuser, Aug 4, 2008.

1. phoneuser macrumors newbie

I have noticed when I am at home on a land phone or in the office on the office phone (both corded), if I browse the internet (or connected on the web and doing updates in any applications) I can hear the buzz (or static) noise in my land phones. I did some experiments, having the iphone connected with some 800 number and pickup the landphone, I can hear the same noise. This only happens if my iPhone is using edge. If the phone is using 3G there is no such noise.

I have heard this kind of noise before, in conference calls or something like that. but it only happens when the cellular phone is about to ring, not after it is connected. I did some search on the web. it turns out usually when a cellular phone is initiating the connection -- before it rings or after you hit the dial... the radio on the phone is working on the full power -- with full radiation. While the connect is established, the radio works on less power, -- thus, less radiation. The full powered radiation can interfere other electronic devices and cause such noise you can hear on your land phone.

My concern is -- based on what I have observed, does it mean iPhone 3G radio will always working on the full power mode through the entire call? --if it is true, this can cause two problems -- 1)potential health issue; 2)waste of battery.

then my 2nd thought is -- why no interference if I am using 3G -- even when i only got 1 bar. Does this mean 3G generates less radiation? I don't know the answer. I checked the web.. iPhone 3G works on 4 bands with different SAR readings. it always archives much less radiation (less SAR reading) when it is on 850mhz bands. but it seems like AT&T is using the 1900mhz bands for GSM and UMTS (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=536902).

I called AT&T but no one can answer my questions. I don't know if anyone from apple or uses apple iphones can answer my questions. I don't know if anyone actually has the same problem or it is just my phone. if you don't, i am hitting the genius bar in the store.

The iphone in Edge mode can interference the land phones even it is 8 inches away from the phone. the strongest interference position is it at the same horizontal level of the land phone handset or speaker. at the location where i tested these cases, I got 4 bars with Edge and 1 or no bar on 3G.

2. AresROC macrumors newbie

The noise you heard is the EDGE ratio turning on and off rapidly. A low frequency that can easily be picked up by radio or other devices.

I just accidentally fell asleep on my iPhone last night with all the radios on - 3G, EDGE, WiFi.

No big deal other than a bad sleep, a little headache and time wasted searching for the cell phone cancer risks, and all the inconclusive results they have...

3. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

The GSM radio is what is causing the buzz, EDGE is using the GSM radio. 3G uses the WCDMA radio and it does not cause the buzz.

As for your concerns about radiation, cancer and the sar ratings, I'm sorry, but I personally don't buy into all of that. I figure even if it causes cancer, what on this green earth doesn't cause cancer. I personally think I am more likely to get cancer by walking in the sun, drinking treated water or from the cigarettes I smoke.

Not trying to knock your for your fears. I just choose not to trouble myself with things in life I have little to no control over (okay, I guess I could control the cigarette thing....). I find I am a lot less stressed and happier that way.