Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
I have an iPhone 3G running 4.1 jailbreak. As soon as I installed 4.1 it gave me problems, yes theres no more lag but now when I sometimes open certain apps the phone will freeze a bit and then reboot itself.

This week it has decided that it does not want to tether with my MacBook Pro. every time the phone makes a tether connection with the mac (USB or Bluetooth) it reboots itself and takes up to 8 minutes to get itself running again. Last week I was tethering just fine. The only thing that I think could have a possible effect is the carrier update the phone asked me to install over the air. Could the be the problem?

Thanks guys.

TechDaddyK

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
My experience is almost identical, save the carrier update. Worked great for a week or so, now reboots when I tether it to my MacBook Pro. Tried with iTunes running and without... same.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Well at least I know two things now. 1. It's not just me. 2. It wasn't the carrier update that broke it. Any other ideas save for restoring the entire phone?

TechDaddyK

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
I just tried connecting my iPhone to a PC and it didn't reboot. I don't have iTunes installed on that PC or anything... Just testing.

Have hooked this phone up to compatible car stereos, too, and haven't had an issue.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
TechDaddyK said:
I just tried connecting my iPhone to a PC and it didn't reboot. I don't have iTunes installed on that PC or anything... Just testing.

Have hooked this phone up to compatible car stereos, too, and haven't had an issue.

Internet tethering specifically?

TechDaddyK

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
Sorry, not tethering for data. When I attach my iPhone to my MBP via the 30-pin cable, my iPhone reboots within about five seconds.

TechDaddyK

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
I was wrong!!!

I forgot that I had turned on Internet Tethering last week... I just turned it off and now my phone doesn't reboot!

While it's not a "fix," it certainly makes me feel better as I hardly use Tethering anyway. At least I can sync and charge my iPhone with my MBP again...

I'm still interested in finding a solution, though.

TechDaddyK

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
I was wrong!!!

I forgot that I had turned on Internet Tethering last week... I just turned it off and now my phone doesn't reboot!

While it's not a "fix," it certainly makes me feel better as I hardly use Tethering anyway. At least I can sync and charge my iPhone with my MBP again...

I'm still interested in finding a solution, though.

BTW, big thank you to Jasonbot for pointing me in the right direction!

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
I finally restored and it still does the same thing. I'm on 4.1 JB, not going to go to 4.2 yet or down to 4.0 since its to slow. Anyone have any updates on how to fix this? Thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.