iPhone 3G real-life pics and reviews?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reiger, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Reiger macrumors regular

The iPhone 3G has been announced on June 9th. It has only been 9 days. However, it will be another 22 days until the iPhone is available July 11th. I have many questions, with a few sticking out. Will I buy a white or black one? How good will the new back be in regard to smudges and scratches? In short, when do you think we will see the first reviews and real-life pictures?

The only real-life pics that are now available are the ones that leaked out before the announcement:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/27/more-white-3g-iphone-photos/
    http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/05/more-3g-iphone-photos-now-in-white/
    http://www.macrumors.com/2008/04/25/3g-iphone-to-include-gps-be-only-slightly-thicker/

And there are a bunch of hands-on from after the keynote, only one websites was actually able to make some pictures:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/133856/2008/06/iphone_3g_hands_on.htmThe other are only text:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/06/the_ihype_is_so_over.html
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-hands-on/
    http://gizmodo.com/5014732/3g-iphone-first-hands-on

But again, when will we get proper reviews and galleries filled with high-res pictures?

2. iMachine macrumors newbie

3. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

You wont get any reviews until it has been released, all you will see until then is previews/speculation/rumors/forum squabbles/angry ppl/happy ppl/and a billion questions (and most of them the same but worded different) :D
    It's impossible to review something that isn't out yet, but very possible to get previews, so don't count on seeing galleries until after 11th July (real pics, not renders)

4. Reiger thread starter macrumors regular

But last year a number of reviews were released about a week before the release of the iPhone. Walt Mossberg (Washington Post), David Pogue (New York Times), Edward C. Baig (USA Today) and Steven Levy (Newsweek) all had a review well before the release. I think that this year, Walt Mossbreg claimed that he would have first impressions or a review in a couple of weeks.

5. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I keep looking for hands on and more pictures too. I hope someone gets a hold of it before July 11th. I don't think anything that is said would prevent me buying it though :D

6. Reiger thread starter macrumors regular

7. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

The orig. iPhone launched 6/29, and it looks Apple released the review embargo on the evening of 06/26 -- only 2.5 days before.

If that timing holds true again, you'll see iPhone 3G reviews the evening of 7/8.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/26/first-apple-iphone-reviews-trickle-out/

9. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Really? I think it looks way better than the original, that 2 tone is ugly as hell. I think if they were released in reverse order, everyone would be complaining about the ugly 2 tone.

10. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Guess it's in the eye of the beholder ... though the thought of an aluminum back is better than that of a plastic back, the black is much sharper looking that the two-tone look of the original IMHO.

11. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

what? are you serious? are you looking at the real-world pictures with the 3G? it has all sorts of greasy smudges on it and looks like a toy next to the clean, elegant looking alluminum iphone. granted the plastic strip sticks out a bit, but over all, the phone looks a lot better than the 3G.

think back to when the v1 phone was intro'd by jobs in January. he was so proud of the design and boasted how beautiful it looked.

compair it to his presentation to this year......"it has an all plastic back....."

*crickets*.......end of description.

jobs even knows that the plastic back is cheap looking and is probably bummed out about it.

12. Wildog27 macrumors member

Did you ask him about his health when you talked to him about it?

13. crazychris3992 macrumors member

crazychris3992

yeah, I mean it doesn't look bad, but what will worry me is all the scratching that can/will happen to the back of it.

14. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

It doesn't look so bad.

7.jpg

15. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

well, i would agree that it looks ok if it's untouched/unused...as in most pictures floating around. but after it's been handled, i think that's where most of the degradation will come into play.

16. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

Honestly, I think the new back cover (both the black and the white) looks way better than the old one. That strip of black at the bottom is hideous and ruins the whole back.

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I agree. Smudginess aside, the aesthetics of the 3G are cleaner than the original iPhone. I like the look.

18. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Again, to each his own.
    The chrome of the first phone looks so much better than the plastic (IMO), that it cancels out whatever negative impact the black plastic strip might bring. And I actually don't mind the two-tone design! It breaks up the back to add a little more visual interest.

19. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

I don't care what the back looks like as long as the front looks good and works.

20. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

after all is said and done......i agree 100%. the whole reason i want the iphone (v1 or v2) is because of the awesome software contained in that gross plastic package. :D
    :apple:

21. TheOrioles33 macrumors 6502

I cant believe so many people hate the black plastic back. 85% of you are going to put it in a case anyways. Looks like Colorware will be making a lot of business coloring the new iPhones.

22. jpruitt macrumors member

jpruitt

because of the plastic back i will put it in a case. I hate cases and loved the original iPhone for the fact you didn't need a case. now i have to sort through all of the ugly cases on the market.

23. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

The problem with glossy anything is that it smudges (ugh, look at one of the HP laptop series...the entire cover is glossy and gets so ugly with smudges).

If only aluminum didn't degrade signal quality =(. Then no more two-toned =).

The thing I'm wondering, though, is what kind of plastic is used. Cause if I drop it and it's not good plastic...cracks are worse than aluminum dents.

Either way, I'll be getting one as I can't resist 3G and GPS (that's all I wanted in the original iPhone...that and software...so once July 11th comes and I "upgrade" [sell or give it to someone else] my current iPhone and get the 3G iPhone, I'll be set.)