iPhone 3G Reception in Canada - Ontario Specifically

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mciccone640, Aug 29, 2008.

1. mciccone640 macrumors newbie

I am just curious if everyone is getting the same 3G experience as me.
    I live in a town with full 3G coverage according to rogers but somehow i only get 3G in at best 40% of the city. is anyone else experiencing that? it is incredibly irritating because when im at home i can either get full bars with EDGE or NO bars with 3G. and when i drive around i will get full 3G for a certain space then none for the next.

Map of rogers 3G Network Coverage in Ontario:
    scroll down on the page to click your map.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_pageLabel=GCT&_nfpb=true&setLanguage=en&setProvince=NL

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I have full 3G bars 95% of the time in Toronto (mostly spend my time uptown, but downtown too).

The only time it isn't like that, is when I'm underground (but even then, I often get 3G) or deep in a building (but even then, I often get 3G).

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Getting bars of 3G isn't the same on the iphone as actually being able to utilize 3G speeds. For example I often get 4 or 5 bars of 3G service in NY, only to do a speedtest and find I'm getting only 48kps. Most of the time, my pages timeout on full 3G service.

4. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Hmm ...

Yea, right now, deep inside my office building (damn you office peeps with windows!) I'm getting 5 bars of 3G, but a speed test on testmyiphone.com reveals a speed of 0.07 Mbps (70 Kbps / 9 kB/s).

Wow ... pretty disappointing.

I feel like this iPhone I have right now is kind of crappy. Everywhere I look I'm getting disappointed.

5. ottx macrumors newbie

For Ottawa here,

Downtown, full bars with speeds up to 800kbs. 5min away at my house or at work, 3G is in and out and at work, mostly no service at all even on edge sometimes at work (where BlackBerrry/my old sony phone) had full service on edge. Map says I'm in full coverage.

Some days with full coverage in downtown core, max speeds of 100kbs. Other days no 3G at all even though there was 3G the other.