iPhone 3G reception problems currently?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crandel, Nov 4, 2008.

1. crandel macrumors member

Hey all,

I am about to upgrade to an iPhone 3G (which depends on the sale of my 1G iPhone.) I was just wondering if many of the receptions issues surrounding the iPhone 3G have been resolved.

Does anyone still experience really poor reception on 3G or EDGE?

Does the phones signal strength still depend on how one holds the phone as I have read and seen in videos (i.e. blocking the antenna or not?)

I would hate to upgrade to an iPhone with worse signal strength and internet speeds...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Best,
    ~Crandel

p.s. I Live in downtown San Francisco, where I currently get full bars of EDGE just about everywhere on my 1G.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It depends on where you live. If AT&T has good 3G coverage by you, you'll be fine. If not, you'll have problems. Just like any other phone on the network.

If you get good EDGE reception now, you'll have good EDGE reception with the 3G iPhone. As for me I've had good EDGE and 3G coverage where I am.

You've got 30 days to try it out and bring it back if you don't like it.

Then you're going to get full bars of EDGE on your 3G. I'm not sure what the 3G coverage is like in San Fran, however.

3. crandel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for clearing up some of my concerns! I had heard of iPhone 3G users experiencing problems with EDGE reception they had not experienced when using the first gen iPhone in the same area. I am glad to hear that this at least is not the case any longer! Thanks again!

4. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I live in Westwood California

In the past month i have seen a slow decline in 3G speeds. My guess is that students here at UCLA have been slowly starting to load the nearest tower.

I use to be able to listen to streaming music over the 3g network on my weekly runs, but now it will connect and disconnect within 20 seconds.