iPhone 3G reception worse than original iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thecypher, Aug 7, 2008.

1. thecypher macrumors regular

I have the new iPhone 3G and my wife has the original iPhone. And clearly the 3G iPhone has issues with signal reception. Over the last 3 weeks I have observed many times where my 3G iPhone gets no signal my wife's older iPhone still gets at least minimal signal and is able to be make and receive calls. Like we were at Home Depot last week and typically when you are at Home Depot or in a Walmart or a Sam's Club you don't get GSM signal unless you are very close to the entrance. Something to do with the large metal structure I suppose that these buildings are made up of. Anyway we were about in the center of the building and my 3G iPhone had no service and my wife's phone showed 1 bar and she was able to make and receive calls with good voice/sound clarity. Same thing last night. We were at a restaurant and I had no service while she had 1 bar and was able to make/recieve calls. What a bummer!!! :mad:

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

try turning off 3g and see if that improves it

3. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

Not to rub it in, but I am happy I didn't go for the 3G. ATT said $400 + I said absolutely not! Got a 3 mo old 16 gig ($225) and it has been great, not a problem and my signal is great as well. Most of my friends who have the 3G say they have been turning on edge. My bill also went down 20 bucks as well.

4. thecypher thread starter macrumors regular

3G has been turned off. I have no 3G in my area right now. Supposed to get it by the end of the summer. So I have had 3G off on my phone since day 1 to save battery. I suppose the antenna on the 3G phone is not as good as the first gen iPhone.

5. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

When you do get 3G coverage you will love it. I get as high as 1.49 Mbps or 1493 Kbps / 182 kB/s which is 7.47 times faster then edge. Believe me once your getting a good 3G signal it almost feels like the move from dial-up to dsl. Very much worth it in my opinion. I could not be happier. My wife is always borrowing my phone to check e-mail and what not...