iPhone 3G refurbs already? when u go to replace it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Jul 14, 2008.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

just wondering because i am hearing that for people having problems, they are getting different iphone 3g's out of a tiny white box.

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I got a new one when I got mine replaced. Then again, I noticed out of the box that it had problems when I was in the store. It had a screen that was noticeably yellower than the other iPhone 3Gs on demo and there were two scratches on the top left of the metal, along with a lot more small ones on the side of the metal. My new iPhone 3G is almost flawless, though.

If Apple offers refurbished iPhones I would guess that you would be getting some of the iPhone 3Gs with yellower panels and shoddy build quality.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

All replacements through the Genius Bar should come from a tiny box because it only contains the iPhone (and none of the extra parts, like the AC adapter, headset, sync cable, etc).

The tiny box can contain either a refurb or a new unit.

I doubt Apple's had time to collect old iPhone 3Gs from its stores, refurbed them, and then shipped them back out. My guess is that all iPhone 3Gs in the tiny box are brand new.

If you're within your first 14 days and bring back your box, receipt, and all pieces, they usually just give you a whole new retail package. That's guaranteed to be new.

4. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Yes, they have refurbished units. Every Apple store has this little sweat shop behind them, where they would take in all the broken phones and refurbish them at the spot and give it to all these users that just bought them 3 days ago.

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I just spoke to an apple guy over the phone and he said that i have to make a genius bar appointment where i'll get a new one in a white box...

hmmm i dunno if i trust him or not though .

what do you guys think?

6. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

No, never trust anyone. My suggestion is to go to AT&T store and buy a blackberry.

7. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I need to replace my 16gig black iphone due to a faulty vibrate/ringer switch and the whole left side of the phone is misaligned and is rather sharp. Do i need to make an appt at the genius bar or can i jsut bring everything(box,acccessories,phone) in and get it replaced with a new phone?

8. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

It's funny that you ask...I guess MacRumor is becoming the official Apple support blog.

How the hell do we know? Why don't you call Apple and find out?

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

Testy aren't we?

Yes, call Apple or go to apple.com/retail to make an appointment. They will replace it for you there.

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I had mine replaced because it had chips in the plastic housing near the SIM slot. I was given a brand new one in a retail box.

11. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I have chips in the plastic housing too (near the right side by the chrome trim)

does this warrant an exchange? also, my phone has completely shut off twice now at about half charge! and i have to plug it in to get it to reboot.