iPhone 3G repair hell!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HB92, Feb 5, 2009.

1. HB92 macrumors newbie

Hi all

I got a iPhone 3g back in November and since then Ive had nothing but problems

Ive had 4 replacements since then, all for issues such as dead pixels, chrome bezel loose - light leak, dead home button etc

So after my 2nd replacement I rang apple customer relations and was put through to a manager, she sent me to the store again and got me a replacement for my 3rd iPhone, that somehow got 4 dead pixels so I rang her up again and she despatched a Brand new iPhone 3g to me

Its been 8 days since I had it and now this has 4 dead pixels, there is light leak on the whole left side plus when I download a game it does not play it for some reason (I have 2.2.1 so latest firmware)

My question is, there is no point in asking for another replacement, should I just kindly return this one and ask the Apple customer relations manager to give me a new iPhone when they upgrade in June/July as im kinda sick of having to replace it every 2-3 weeks, Ive never gotten a month out of one iPhone and have therefore had barely any time to enjoy it!

Am I being unreasonable and also could you please advise on what I should do next as Im seriously lost/confused. As a student it cost me a lot to buy it and too have this many problems is just wrong and unacceptable, and as Ive searched the form before posting, too people who think im being OCD, im not, as a student who has to save up for things like this I have every right to a new functional product, not having dead pixels or having buttons fail on me, plus having light leak on the side is annoying, especially when viewing stuff in the dark (which it mostly is here in London!:D)

Thanks all

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

You've got some bad luck beside you, four replacements? Dang! Mine didn't have any problems, and I got this since day 1 (from US).

I'd say talk to the Apple customer relations again, be honest & politely tell your concern(s) with them. Usually they work things out with customers.

3. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I got mine replaced 7 times. Sure I pissed of the genius people, but I don't give a f*** what they think. I wanted a functional working device and wasn't going to take no for an answer. :) There you go...answer your question?? :D

4. HB92 thread starter macrumors newbie

7 times!?!? Man I'd go mad!

I think I'm still going to push for a replacement upgraded iPhone in June/July as I've had many broken promises about how the problem would be sorted but it keeps on getting worse! I've barely had a chance in using the iPhone(s) as I only have them for like 2 - 3 weeks!

What do you guys think about that? Am I being too pushy/unreasonable? After all I did pay a lot of ££££ for this and it isn't easy raising £350 if your a student

5. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

If you're willing to wait I'd explain the situation and try to get it returned. In the meantime find another phone. Then get a new iPhone whenever the new gen. is released. I'd have done this too if I were still dealing with the issues. Luckily I haven't had a problem since September. :)

6. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

After the 3rd time i would have gave up, But owning an iphone myself i understand where your coming from.

7. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Yeah I would have too if I hadn't known how great they were. As of now though I think it may be worth it to wait.

8. weeman macrumors 6502

I doubt they will give you the next model of the iPhone...if anything they will replace it with a refurb 3G model

I have never heard of a case where a 1st gen iPhone owner got a 3G as a replacement as long as there are refurb 1st gen iPhones around...

I would demand a refund for your current model since it is giving you hell and wait for the next gen!

9. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

I've read in other threads how much better refurb units are! Other people have posted how the refurb units are better than the new ones because they go through some sort of a hands-on testing.

I love the iPhone alot, but it is unfortunate that quality control for the device is subpar.

10. rednano74 macrumors member

It is probably some left wing liberal government law you are unaware of over there requiring several pixels to go out on your phone(s). It's all in the name of reducing your very own carbon foot print. :rolleyes:

Seriously...TAKE IT BACK!!!

11. jlwillia macrumors regular

I think this is asking a bit much to be honest. It kind of sounds like you are looking to get the next gen. iPhone for free.

If Apple allowed this, there would be large incentive to be nick-picky about every little detail to keep getting a new phone every few months until a new version came out. It would be like a free replacement every 2-3 months.

I can understand wanting everything to be perfect in a device that you saved up for and spent a pretty penny on (I'm also a poor college student). However, I think at some point you have to let the small things go.

12. samven582 macrumors 6502a

they gave you a new one or a refurb?

13. rwd hero macrumors 6502

I haven't had a problem with my iphone at all. Keep trying, once you get a decent phone you will never want another "normal" (non-mac) phone.

14. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

It's very unreasonable to ask them to give you the new version that isn't even out yet.

15. FunkyTang macrumors regular

They're not refurbs so much as Service Spares.

16. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I think people are a little too fussy, returning it for some of the backlight shining through? Almost all of my products that have a backlight have had this problem, including my iPhone, I see no reason to return it over something so petty... Oh well. :(

Oh, and the bezel on the right-hand side is a little higher than the plastic back, so when you rub your thumb over it you can feel something digging into you.

17. Daim macrumors member

i'll return my freshly "repaired" iPhone tomorrow as well because light is shining through.. i mean wtf?? i buy a new iPhone which is dead on arrival, get it repaired instead of replaced (WTF?) and the "repaired" one is faulty as well?

wtf??

18. Daim macrumors member

by the way why always those typical stupid mac fanboy answers.. someone got a faulty product and u answer that yours is not faulty??? that's so lame... as if the buyer was the one to blame for buying a faulty product.. typical stupid mac fanboys.

19. marksandvig macrumors regular

atleast ur screen isnt cracked like mine... id take 4 dead pixels any day. XD

20. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

X2!!

i think as far as a support forum goes, the most pointless answer a person can give is, "well, mine works just fine" congrats, the OP could care less