Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecoolone1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I currently have an iPhone 3G white and it has a hairline crack by the Vibrate switch and also one on the back housing (pictures below). I'm aware that this is a common problem especially for white iPhone's and I was wondering has anyone had any luck replacing them at the Genius Bar? and if so did you get a Refurbish model? I want to know how a Refurbished model is given to you at the apple store (in a box?). and if they are "like new" condition with no scratches on it or malfunctions. I'm coming up at the end of my warranty and would like some opinions on what I should do...just live with it? lol all answers would be helpful.

Thanks!

iphoneside.jpg

iphoneback2.jpg

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I got a replacement for a similar hairline crack (very short, near the dock connector) last Wednesday.

No issues at all; I made an appointment, walked in and showed the Genius, and he got me a flawless white 3G (refurbished, but flawless) that I then sold for $400. :p

Oh, it was only the phone. I also got my cord replaced, but that normally doesn't happen. All he handed me for my phone was a blank phone and I stuck my SIM in and left.

It was a tiny crack, and if I weren't selling it, I wouldn't have cared, but since I was, I decided to up my chances for a quick and high-value sale.

thecoolone1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I got a replacement for a similar hairline crack (very short, near the dock connector) last Wednesday.

No issues at all; I made an appointment, walked in and showed the Genius, and he got me a flawless white 3G that I then sold for $400. :p

Nice! Thanks for the info! very helpful

thecoolone1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
So what do you think of those photos? Think I will have any trouble getting it replaced? I take very good care of my iPod's and iPhone but it just seemed that these cracks appeared. I've probably only dropped the phone once but that was from like 2 feet lol and nothing was harmed. These cracks showed up alot later.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
So what do you think of those photos? Think I will have any trouble getting it replaced? I take very good care of my iPod's and iPhone but it just seemed that these cracks appeared. I've probably only dropped the phone once but that was from like 2 feet lol and nothing was harmed. These cracks showed up alot later.

You can give it a shot.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I'd go for it. I'm assuming the crack on the back is under the seal, is that right? If so, you have a better case for replacement than I.

Just tell them how well you treat it (I hope your bezel isn't scratched to hell--mine had no flaws other than that crack, so they couldn't claim I dropped it or anything), and that you're worried that the crack will keep growing. They've seen it all before, and it shouldn't be an issue.

ncfuser

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Same crack in the SAME spot.
Got an appt today.
Already had one replaced. It is like a new phone they replaced the last one with.
Hope I get the same result today.

baydogan

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
Silver Spring, MD
I got mine replaced for the same crack and falling silent switch.
The genius looked with a magnifier to see if I dropped the phone earlier.

PS: how do you understand if the replacement is new or refurbished?

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I think the serial numbers on the refurbs begin with 5K. I exchanged my 3G the day before the 3GS came out and it looks like a new phone.

ncfuser

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
For the 3rd time going to Montgomery Mall Apple store in Maryland for iPhone 3G issues, I have had FANTASTIC SERVICE!!!

They swapped my cracked phone and updated it to 3.0 all within 20min.
Always nice. Always helpful.

Thanks Apple:D

thecoolone1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
For the 3rd time going to Montgomery Mall Apple store in Maryland for iPhone 3G issues, I have had FANTASTIC SERVICE!!!

They swapped my cracked phone and updated it to 3.0 all within 20min.
Always nice. Always helpful.

Thanks Apple:D

I have one scheduled for Saturday to go to the Genius Bar. Hopefully they replace it! Also, what did they do when they replaced yours? Did you just swap the sim and your done? and are Refurbished phones scratched or anything ?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I have one scheduled for Saturday to go to the Genius Bar. Hopefully they replace it! Also, what did they do when they replaced yours? Did you just swap the sim and your done? and are Refurbished phones scratched or anything ?

No, they pop out the inner electronics of the phones and place them in a new shiny shell with no scratches or marks. They look new, but the innards could be months old--which is generally fine.

Sometimes the shell doesn't go on quite right however, so examine the refurb you get around the screen, test the buttons to make sure they feel solid etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.