iPhone 3G Replacement Housing

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by LoMonkey, Jan 5, 2009.

1. LoMonkey macrumors regular

Hey guys. I've decided that I want to replace the pack piece on my iPhone 3G. Not because it's scratched or anything (because it isn't at all--especially since I haven't had a case on it for 4 months), but because I want to be different. Everyone but one person at my work has an iPhone 3G (that one person has a 2G) and all of us but one bought the black one. So I want to stand out. So I have purchased a full housing replacement from ecaseshop.com in metallic gold, and one in red for another co-worker (oddly enough, he's the only one with a white iPhone 3G, he just likes red more).

So, I'm wondering if any of you have had any experience with replacement housing. I'm aware that it will void my warranty, but I'll be okay without that. The teardown and reassembly shouldn't be to hard for me because I've built computers and tore down and reassembled some MP3 players before.

The housings were pretty cheap compared to what I found on eBay, and if you guys want to try them out, they have other colors like silver, pink, and blue. Mine should be in within 2 weeks, so I'll let you guys know how the switch goes.

Cheers!

P.S. Here are the two housings I bought. 10% off with a coupon code, too! :)
    http://www.ecaseshop.com/full-housing-replacement-for-iphone-3g-16gb-red.html
    http://www.ecaseshop.com/apple-iphone-3g-16gb-housing-cover-shell-gold.html

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

My advice (not seriously to be taken) is to wait till the keynote on Tuesday before proceeding with this, but if you really want it to be urgent, feel free since that's yours.

Do let us know though since I'm interested to look at a different coloured-housing. I just don't want to void the warranty that's why I just buy cases.

3. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Pretty bad instruction on how to exchange the housing.
    e.g. 'Step 2: Yank that Logicboard out, several screws, loosen the camera and a few more flex cables to disconnect...'

4. LoMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

No matter what the keynote says, I won't be able to get a new phone anyway, since I just signed this contract in July, and neither will anyone at my work :cool:

Yes, those instructions do suck, but I found a couple of videos on YouTube that are a lot more helpful and informative.

5. flx macrumors newbie

flx

Do you mind sharing with us your frustration when trying to use anything non-OEM? How 95% of the housings for sale are pure CRAP because they don't fit perfectly, if at all?

6. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

i have one of these for my 3g... same exact thing but from ebay and its cheaper ($18)... the quality is certainly not OEM but its pretty close... if you have experience with taking apart small electronics i say go for it... but if not get a professional to do it for you... and good luck :D

7. flx macrumors newbie

flx

Djlild7hina, did you personally install the housing? If so, did everything fit perfectly, inside and out? Is everything flush and clean?

8. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

I got one and was dissappointed. Plastic chips easier than the polycarbonate(i'm assuming) that apple uses, the edges don't line up, and the back where it tapers feels and looks different from the oem housing. Also ejecting my sim card tray cracked the case. Put my oem housing back on. Still gotta glue the metal trim to it though because dust keeps getting inside.

9. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Just curious what the keynote has to do with this? That is going to be an Ipod refresh, not Iphone. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Anyway, why would you want to replace a quality piece of equipment with some cheap knock off plastic junk?

Don't even bother, what a waste of time, money, energy, warranty etc etc....

10. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Look when that post was made...

11. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

lol i just realized how old this was... whoops anyways it was a pain in the.... but if you have patience its okay... also its pretty hard to align and it can be flushed if you are really careful.. the sim card is kinda hard to take out and the paint chips a lil but not too much

12. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

That case is lame. It has two ear piece cut outs. Try again.

13. kicko macrumors 65816

I think i "heard" that was for the new 3GS... S being for stereo sound.

Just a rumor. :p