iPhone 3G restore help?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Biscuit411, May 15, 2011.

1. Biscuit411 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I polled folks on here last week about upgrading my 3G to iOS 4.2. Most said it was fine, so tonight I gave it a shot...
    I got the update started and checked back later and yet was an error message (34 or 36) saying the backup could not complete. So I closed it out and tried to re-sync. Everything looked fine, but now there are no files in my 'ipod' and NO apps open for more than a few seconds. Safari and mail are fine, but something is definitely wrong.

So, should I restore the settings through iTunes? Never having done this and having computer issues before, I'm kinda paranoid. Does a restore just wipe it clean then you re-sync/update it through your iTunes? It doesn't screw with your computers iTunes stuff right?
    BTW, I'm running all this on a week-old Mini with the latest versions of everything. Could that be the problem...

2. Biscuit411 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I did some troubleshooting online and the problem has been fixed. It seems my backup was corrupt. I deleted the old backup and went from there. Problem solved. Checking online, it seemed I was not alone...