iPhone 3G restore help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sverican, Feb 18, 2010.

1. sverican macrumors newbie

Hej everyone,

I am an american in sweden using my at&t iphone here. It is jailbroken and unlocked. Now it wont start up, it stays at the apple screen. It is not showing up in itunes either. I can however put it in DFU mode and get it to show up in itunes. It then says you need to update to identify the unit.
    Here is the problem, if I update then I lose the jailbreak and you can't unlock the new firmware and I can't use the phone here in sweden. Is there a way to restore it without having to update to 3.1.3?
    Thanks.

2. sverican thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if you can DFU restore without updating? It was weird that the phone bugged out. I have not updated yet. It is still at 3.1.2 just it won't turn on. Anyone?

3. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

Yes this is possible. Plug in the device and put it in dfu mode. Next, download a firmware file which you can search on google for your iPhone 3G such as this example: iPhone 3G 3.1.2 Firmware Download. Once its downloaded, drag it to your desktop. Go into iTunes, and if your on a PC, hold shift and click restore. Locate your desktop and the firmware file within it. Its pretty much the same on the Mac, but instead of holding shift, you hold option. Now you can Jailbreak and unlock so you can use your phone in Sweden. Also remember that this will erase all content on your iPhone, and a restore from a backup could possibly cause the same problem to happen again.

"Have fun, and enjoy your unlocked iPhones!" - GeoHot