iPhone 3G - Ridiculously laggy and slow

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dilbaggins, Jun 29, 2010.

1. dilbaggins macrumors member

Hi guys,
    I have a iPhone 3G and after the iOS4 update, my phone has been lagging beyond belief. It seems like its freezing when im texting someone and its slow when i'm on my iPod setting. I only have 4 apps on it but around 400 songs on it . Anyone know if I should see an Apple Genius about it?

2. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

My text messaging is terrible. I'm waiting for my iPhone 4. It doesn't ship until July 14th. I'm just hoping that Apple comes out with an update to correct this!

3. nick1817 macrumors member

iOS4 killed the performance on both my 3g's....

4. nobblers macrumors newbie

I upgraded a 3G to iOS4 and it basically ground to a halt. I know it's worked out ok for some - but for me it was useless. As soon as I got home with an iPhone 4 I downgraded the 3G back to iOS3 and gave it to my wife. In my experience the 3G just can't handle the update, and it doesn't seem to matter how much or how little other stuff there is on the phone

5. steph280 macrumors member

It got so bad I missed two calls today. The phone would ring but the phone is half hang, with the answer slider not responding.

I can't believe company like Apple would release such an untested firmware...

6. MoleSkine macrumors member

MM k - TG I'm no the only one - this is crazy. Everythign is lagging and i recorded somethign with voice memo - when I sat down to listen to it (AND I SEEN IT RECORDING) it was gone. Plus, half my calendar shizz has been deleted. AND I typed something into notes saved it and came back to it and it was gone too!

It's horrendously slow and at this point I can't trust it. I jsut use it for phone call/ text (which is awful trying to type shizz on it now) and music.

I plan to get IP4 in Aug :eek:

7. dilbaggins thread starter macrumors member

anyone know how I can downgrade? None of the feature of iOS4 for 3G are worth the upgrade anyways

8. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

9. Bevz macrumors 6502a

Sorry everyone is having trouble, but i'm glad i'm not the only one! The iPhone 3G is barely useable after updating to iOS4!! I shudder to think of all the people that have clicked yes to the download and not realised and now have crappy phones; it utterly destroys the usability of the device. Shame on apple!

Anyway, i've had enough.... i'm about to try the same downgrade instructions as stormchaser... I'll let you know how i get on....

EDIT: So far so good. It's installed the 3.1.3 firmware ok, it gave me the 1015 error at the end so i ran recboot and it brought it back to life.. It refused to restore from last iTunes backup as it says incompatible, so i'm restoring from an older (pre iOS4) backup. Seems to be working fine at the moment...

EDIT #2: Ah.... my old iphone is back!!! :) I'm a happy man! It seems so fast... lol! the above solution works like a charm. So glad i did this... :) :)

Thanks a lot for posting stormchaser! :)

10. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Your welcome and iam glad more of you are getting rid of OS4 from your 3G :)

11. hariustrk macrumors member

10 second waits for txt messaging to open! I hate iOS4 on my 3G! HATE IT!

12. jakeacc macrumors regular

There was another Thread discussing how laggy iOS4 is on iPhone 3G. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I upgraded from 3.0 to 4.0, I restored from a backup so it would keep all my settings. Others recommended that I do a COMPLETE RESTORE of my iPhone as they say it makes iOS4 work 100% faster. I just did that and can confirm that it his much faster. Just as fast as it used to be in 3.0 (if not faster) No more waiting 10 seconds to open up Apps.

So for those of you experiencing laggy 3Gs, I highly recommend restoring your phone to factory default. It wipes all data from your phone and then installs iOS4. The only thing you lose would be SMS messages and any photos on your Camera Roll. (which I had saved to iPhoto before doing the Restore) Also, all App settings will be reset. (i.e. game progress will be erased, username/logins will have to be re-entered)

13. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

I did a full restore back to factory settings and erased everything also but was still a nightmare to use and most of the time unusable.Its not as if my phone capacity is full as i still have 4.98GB left to use.

14. runnerhiker macrumors newbie

I lucked out, I have a 3G and I tried to install iOS4 but it failed to install. I called Apple Tech support and what they told me scared me and convinced me to stay with OS3. This forum, the MacWorld forum, and the Apple Support Forum confirmed for me to put off OS4.

My installation got stuck on the "backing up the iPhone" step. The blue bar moved a tiny fraction in one hour, it looked like it was stuck, so I stopped it.

Apple tech support told me that the data for contacts, photos, and something else I dont remember, would not be on the iPhone after the OS4 install, that I would have to back this up ahead of time and restore this data after the OS4 install. She also told me that there are bugs in OS4 and Apple is waiting for users to find them, then they will update the software. I was astonished.

I THOUGHT I WAS TALKING TO MICROSOFT!

And speaking of Microsoft, those that are going back to OS3 remind me of people installing Windows XP over Vista. Yuk, what is going on with Apple?

15. rac1979 macrumors member

IOS4 worked for me

Hey guys,

I have a 3G running IOS4, did a restore, not an upgrade....

I first ran it with multitasking and wallpaper enabled. It ran nicely, slightly laggy.

I disabled multitasking and wallpaper, removed the springboard icon shadows and tada....
    The phone is very much capable of running IOS4, i use it alot with tomtom to navigate, and running backgrounder and everything, it works well.....

Cool!