iPhone 3G Ringer On/Off button Broken

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Hobbes., Aug 31, 2010.

1. Hobbes. macrumors regular

As the title reads, I am looking for some help/advice.

My iPhone 3G has been very good to me and I am sad to say that the Ringer On/Off button finally broke off and now is unable to move.

I got my 3G close to launch day and I am obviously out of warranty.

I am eligible for an upgrade of either 3Gs or iP4 but I am not in able to do this because I do not have any money for the next month or two. (I am a student who is graduating)

What are my options, I know I can dissect it and replace it however I don't feel like I am capable of doing this successfully.

Also my friend has a iPhone 3GS within warranty, do you think we could go to the store and possibly have them replace my 3G using his warranty by saying something like he bought a 3GS and sold it for a 3G and now it's broken? or should we even mention the that mine is a 3G?

I'm just kind of freaking out. Sorry for going on and on. Help!

2. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

Warranty stays with the phone. Apple will know your phone is a 3G so that scenario is out of the question. Find a shop in your area that can repair it for you

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

that dog wont hunt! that repair would not have been made under warranty anyway. they would say you dropped it or hit it on something.

I make that repair all the time but its not easy especially for someone who has not done it before. it should cost you $40-$50 max at an independent shop.

4. Hobbes. thread starter macrumors regular

I think we could pull a switch-a-roo. They are pretty dumb. So even if we have the same sized phone GB wise, their is no label "s" on his phone.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah, good luck with that nonsense.:rolleyes:
    You're going to tell them to repair your iphone 3G under his 3GS warranty?
    And you think they're that dumb and obviously you're alot smarter.....
    They go by serial numbers and that you cannot fake, thats where the warranty is saved under not GB's or labels on the back of the phone genius.

6. Hobbes. thread starter macrumors regular

Hi.

Also, I don't think i'm a genius and I do realize the serial. However, i've seen crazier things go down in this Apple Store. Plus I know most of the people in there, I work in the store right next to them.

7. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

AppleJuice speaks the truth. you dont know much about iPhones if you think this will work. you cant even get that to work if you both had the same phone.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think you needed a little bit of reality to realize how naive you are and to wake up a little. These multibillion dollar companies are not dumb, you are if you think they dont have rules and protocols that need to be followed in order to avoid dishonest people like you.
    And watch your remarks and what you post here or you will get banned. This is not your facebook page.
    Try your scam somewhere else.

9. Hobbes. thread starter macrumors regular

Says the guy with the installous logo. Isn't stealing apps a scam?
    Pot meet Kettle.

If the Apple Store by me is dishonest and falls for it, it doesn't make me the bad guy.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You know what they say about assumptions right?
    But go ahead and try your failed plot and see how far you get :D