iPhone 3G S and AirTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lucas111, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Lucas111 macrumors newbie

I'm looking at buying an iPhone 3G S sometime next week, and I was wondering if the iPhone has the ability, like iTunes, to play music through my AirPort Express wirelessly when connected to the AirPort Express' network?

To put it simply, I want to stream music from a iPhone to my AirPort Express then to a set of speakers. Is this possible?

I have read about the iPhone working as a remote for iTunes on a computer(http://www.apple.com/itunes/remote/), but this is not what I'm after.

Thanks in advance.

2. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

It does not have this capability. There are third party apps to do the opposite (let the iPhone bee an airtunes speaker) but not the other way around.

3. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Well, I've got the iPhone 3G and airtunes as well.

You can select the speakers you want to stream the music to with the Remote app. It's basically what you're looking for except iTunes has to be on.

But....

If you're at someone else's house, then you would have to pair the Remote app with that person's iTunes. You cannot listen to your own library though.

4. Nadinengland macrumors newbie

No, this is not currently possible. The only way to play through your AirPort Express would be to download the Remote Application for your iPhone, then play your computers iTunes Library through the Speakers that way. It does mean having your computer on, but then you can use your iPhone to control it. Hope that helps.

5. Lucas111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah that's really too bad, it would be a great feature! Anyone with iPhone programing skills should make an App which does that, I would definitely buy it.

Thanks for the quick reply's as well.

6. musr macrumors newbie

+1. It seems like if this were possible, that an app would be out to do this by now already. I wonder if the api framework simply isn't there to make this possible...

7. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

This would be a pretty cool feature but I'd imagine it would kill the battery pretty quickly.