iPhone 3G S Black Tie Protection

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by natebookpro, Jun 20, 2009.

1. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

What are your thoughts on it guys? 15 dollars a month... probably not worth it? Am I better off just adding it to my homeowners policy? Has anyone had any experience with this for their previous mobile phones? I just dont feel like paying $700 for a replacement.

2. Mosi macrumors regular

Squaretrade

You could check out http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/iphone-landing19

I have no experience with this company but I have seen quite a few stories lately on some of the tech blogs. Works out to about $5 buck a month over 2 years but you should note that they only give you $499 toward a new 32GB leaving you with basically a $200 deductible but still better than $699 I suppose, plus they cover spills, drops and the phone getting wet.

I am going to comapre this to USAA (my insurer) and see which works out best for me.

3. surfer99 macrumors 6502

Mosi could you let us know what USAA says. I use them as my insurer as well and have been meaning to call them about iPhone insurance but never seem to get around to it.

Thanks in advanced

4. entity macrumors regular

It really depends on how clumsy you are.

How it works: You break your phone.
    1. Check it in at Best Buy as a "Rapid Exchange"
    2. In 5-7 business days you will get a refurb sent to the store
    (the same ones the Geniuses hand out)
    3. In the mean time you get to use a loaner phone

Pretty simple process and quite useful if you get rough with your phone!

5. cryschips macrumors newbie

I have Accidental Damage Coverage. I've heard rumors that they don't cover water damage but I've read the Black Tie Protection Plan 3 times and I haven't found anything about water damage yet. They say that is covers spills and that it doesn't cover it if it comes in contact with bodily fluids.

6. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

It covers water damage from spills and such, but in the terms and conditions I think it states it does not cover complete immersion in water. So yeah, no mention of oceans when you go in to get it looked at:D.

7. surfer99 macrumors 6502

I finally got around to calling USAA and they tell me that they do not cover iPhones for lost or accidental damage. Although there was a member on this forum that said they were able to get USAA to cover there iphone for lost and accidental damage. He said that USAA insures it as a laptop/mobile computer. When I told the USAA rep this they double checked and were told that this is not the case. Anyone else have any experience?

8. justabeachbum19 macrumors newbie

Better Than Verizon's insurance!

I have used Verizon's insurance on my last 3 phones. I recently got an iPhone 4 and bought it at Best Buy, along with Black Tie protection, and quickly cancelled my Verizon coverage.

I will highlight the reasons I switched:

Verizon:
    Doesn't cover:
    Lemons. Basically, if you got a lemon phone, you are covered under the manufacturer's warranty only.
    Does cover:
    Lost/Stolen/Obliterated. If I lost my phone or ran over it with my car, they would replace it.
    Deductible:
    Around $150.00:eek:

BB Black Tie:
    Doesn't cover:
    Lost/Stolen. - however they include a service that helps you find your lost phone, lock it, and even take a picture of who ha it if it is being used. Quite useful - I would rather get my old phone back then have a brand new one to set up all over again.
    Does cover:
    Any damage/lemon phones. If you get stuck with a lemon (requires 4 repairs) you get it fixed/a new phone. If you wreck your phone, you get it fixed/a new one. It says doesn't cover "submersion" but I know a few people who just said it got something spilled on it and had no trouble getting their phone repaired/replaced. Best Buy may give you a refurbished phone, but again, I know a few people who got brand spanking new ones because they didn't have any refurbished :D
    Deductible:
    NONE. This is close to an $800 phone - I like no deductible!
    ***I wanted to add that BB Black Tie also includes the use of a loaned phone while you are waiting for your repairs/new phone. Requires a deposit, but it is returned when the loaner phone is.
    ****Also wanted to add that BB can insure your iPhone even if you didn't buy it there - the only phone they can do that for. I am thinking they have it worked out with Apple since they cover iPods/iPads as well.

Overall, I think Black Tie is a much better bet, especially for someone like me who tends to "love" their phones a little more than the next person... Hope this helped!:eek: