iPhone 3G S: Build Quality?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Voidness, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

I have a black iPhone 3G. While I do love the phone, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. Everyone knows about the cracks, the light leaks, silent switch falling off, among other issues. The original iPhone was a lot better, but too bad aluminum doesn't play well with radio signals.

Now we know the iPhone 3G S looks exactly the same, so I'm wondering if Apple addressed the build quality problems. Anyone else concerned about this?

2. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

nope not really.. all phones have their problems.. all phones will develop problems over time..
    i know the cracks.. but the cracks were barely noticable. i do think they did address this with the new iphone.. but its not that big of a deal...

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Just because it looks the same doesn't mean they haven't addressed quality issues.

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I dunno, the build quality of the 3G was low at its introduction. I would hope Apple would not repeat this mistake. And for those who would say that Apple has already sorted out all iPhone quality issues, bear in mind that this is a completely new iPhone. They are certainly not starting from scratch, but there are new features on this phone Apple has never implemented before.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

Exactly! All phones can be broken, the Palm Pre, the BB Storm, etc. Apple isn't perfect. At the end of the day, its still a phone.

I'm sure your $3000 desktop computer can be broken also.

6. Voidness thread starter macrumors 6502a

Voidness

But I don't have a $3000 desktop computer. :( :p

Yes, obviously everything breaks eventually, but I'm talking about build quality problems. You know, abnormal wear is just a few weeks of normal use. Just compare iPhone 3G with the original iPhone, it's obviously a step below.

Since the iPhone 3G S looks the same as its predecessor, they might be using the same plastic with its cracking issues. That's why I'm worried a bit (That's if I buy one).

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Didn't the plastic cracking problem get solved during the later builds? I know a few people who bought their iPhones in 2009 and none of them have such problems. If so, then I doubt the new iPhone will have this problem.

You also need to look at total cost of manufacturing. Assuming that Apple wants to make the same (or more) profit as the 3G and if manufacturing costs for the 3G S is more, then Apple is going to try to cut corners (read: cut costs/quality) in some area of the manufacturing.