iPhone 3G S - Camera quality - Samples?!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randfee2, Jun 9, 2009.

1. randfee2 macrumors regular

randfee2

So, is there anybody that has some fullres sample images of the new iPhone or sample videos? Can't people play with them at WWDC?.... nobody?

the image samples apple provides don't tell much about the resolution and sharpness of images, they're too small and probably tampered with (bottom there are two)
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3g-s/photos.html

Before somebody tries to teach me that it ain't a "real" camera.... I know that. I don't want a replacement for my SLR but a snapshot opportunity that is usable for once. To take a pic of a poster, a magazine or book page or something... a pic that makes the text readable, which hasn't been the case with the 1. and 2. iPhone cam at all! I missed this functionality ever since I gave up my K800 and k750!

What about the camera cover glass though. The best camera chip and lens (although tiny) are worthless if the glass above is scratched. On my first gen. iPhone that has happend quite fast, whereas the screen glass still is absolutely scratch free!! Again... something that is laughable, why can't they put in the same quality/hardness of glass as cover for the lens!?!?
    [​IMG]

As I said... Apple provides some images at low resolutions that have been photoshopped, we all know that! The video they show seems to have been manufactured too, the hand is totally stiff, meaning its an image overlayed and the actual video on the screen is overlayed, so that is no good to estimate video quality either....

These are just too small... the birthday pic.... I bet they used additionali lighting..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bphillips macrumors regular

I checked the MetaData.

Neither of those photos were taken with any type of iPhone.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've just realised there is still no zoom feature with the new camera. Seems a bit of a strange omission but I guess that will come with the next iPhone ;)

4. randfee2 thread starter macrumors regular

randfee2

that doesn't mean that they've not been taken by an iPhone... I just checked them as well... no metadata whatsoever. This only proofs, that they've been edited by PS or something!

Honestly, what phone has a camera with a zoom lens?!?! A phone cam is for occasional shots, its 2 orders below a point and shoot, a zoom lens would be totally exaggerated..... and I hope you know that digital zoom is no zoom at all, its just BS!

5. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

Kid in the blue on the left would rather be somewhere else...

6. svndmvn Guest

he wanted his own cake, it's his birthday too..

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

And what makes you come to that conclusion?

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The Samsung G800 for one.
    Yes, thanks, I do know what digital zoom is

9. auggie2k macrumors member

auggie2k

Yes it does and it's the reason Apple never included the much requested 'tap the screen to take a picture' feature:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3g-s/photos.html

10. BNZ1 macrumors regular

That refers to the digital zoom in the camera roll not the camera viewfinder/application, same as we can do now.

11. auggie2k macrumors member

auggie2k

So it seems, good catch. Can we be sure that this won't be included with the new hardware?

12. siksik6 macrumors member

Still can't believe not ONE single picture taken with a 3gs is out there in the wild. the device is out on general release in LESS THAN FOUR DAYS!

How on earth do Apple manage it.

reviewers should at least have them, so Engadget/macRumors can do a full review.

Buyers should at least be able to have confidence from a 3rd party review before spending so much cash.

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Reviewers are not suppose to release any info until launch day.

14. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I believe Gizmodo posted a video they'd taken with the 3GS last Monday, but Apple made them take it down within minutes or hours.
    It was very good quality.

15. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

I'm sure there will be some reviews this week with plenty of sample photos. Reviews usually start dropping 48 hours or so in advance of launch. There was a video out there on gizmodo, but it was pulled and there is one on youtube, but who knows if it's real.

16. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

ill be early in line at 6am or so..
    im on the east coast...
    unless someone gets theirs shipped before i get mine from the store..ill come home and post pics/videos/speed comparisons with the old iphone..all that stuff.

i have a feeling that there will be leaks the night before the release though...i cant imagine that out of EVERY single package being shipped, not one of them will show up somewhere early..ehe

17. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

18. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

The UK embargo for reviews is Thursday morning, from what I've been told by the people dishing out review samples.

-L

19. marra2 macrumors regular

marra2

kid in blue looks like he's doing something in his pants !

20. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Their blog said it was crap quality. At least after upload to Youtube over 3G.

My thought is it will be like Youtube playback is now... great over wifi, poor over 3G.

21. siksik6 macrumors member

Who cares about what the quality is like after it's been buggered about with by YouTube? I want to see a sample that hasn't been edited at all.

All those with review units could just leak a shot, quite easily, no?

22. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Give it a day or so - I'm sure something will pop online...

(Less than subtle hint)

-L

23. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

I hope the 3GS takes better pictures than the Palm Pre.

The Pre images on Flickr look really processed.

C.

24. siksik6 macrumors member

:)

25. randfee2 thread starter macrumors regular

randfee2

haha, I'll take you word for that! If you don't release a sample.... then.... gg