iphone 3G S Credit Check Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brito, Jun 10, 2009.

1. brito macrumors newbie

Okay. So i'm 19. I want to get my own iphone on my own account. I'm not sure if i have credit or not. I have a credit card that I've used a couple times, and paid off right away.

so i reserved an iphone on apple's website for pickup. does that include the credit check, or will it check my credit when i activate it.

what is the chance that i'll have to pay a deposit? and if so, how much will it be?

thanks a ton guys.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Deposits vary, chances are you'll need one. One credit card (that is good that you got it, used it, paid it off) is probably just not enough. No credit is bad credit (which is super stupid if you ask me).

I believe you reserved the phone but it will be the activation process that will result in your credit being ran.

On a side note, to activate my phone Apple had to open it. What happens if they open your phone and tell you that you need a deposit and you decline to buy? Or is that not how the process runs?

All I know is that credit checks and activation came together. I may be wrong.

3. dancavallaro macrumors regular

I bought an iPhone 3G last year 3 days after launch and opened my own AT&T account with no deposit needed, I was 19 at the time. I had had a credit card for about a year, that I put a couple hundred dollars on a month and paid in full with each statement. I was also making interest payments on a student loan that I had for about a year, so that would have helped also. Point is, you don't need much of a credit history to be considered financially secure enough that you don't need a deposit.

4. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Actually, no credit is BETTER THAN bad credit.

5. actorkid macrumors 6502

6. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Payment method is completely separate from the credit check. Even if you use a debit card, they still need to do a credit check to make sure you have a history of making payments on time, managing debt responsibly, etc.

7. charltonx macrumors member

The fact that you've got a credit card believe it or not is a good thing, it means that you've got credit history; as long as you've never had any late payments then you'll be fine, I would imagine you'll have no problems with a credit check.

As has already been said, the credit check will be done when you collect the phone.

8. racers macrumors regular

I had to pay a deposit last year because i had no credit history

9. MacVixen macrumors 6502

I'll second that. It's difficult to overcome bad credit, but with no credit, there's no place to go but up (hopefully) :)

It's been about 6 months, but as I recall when I ordered my current iPhone via Apple's website, the credit check was performed at that time. I then just went into the store to complete the transaction. I'm pretty sure that if a deposit was required, I would have been informed at that time. Of course I was ordering and in-stock phone and not pre-ordering, so I don't know if that changes the game at all.

10. brito thread starter macrumors newbie

how much was it?

11. racers macrumors regular

$500

12. ksmith688 macrumors newbie

I got my iPhone 3g last year and it was my first purchase on my credit card. I was worried about the credit check as well but it wasn't nearly as serious as everyone had made it seem. For my situation i just showed the apple store employee my id and she went ahead and activated the phone for me no problem.

I BELIEVE that people run into problems with the credit check when they try to purchase the phone directly from AT&T or have bad credit. I THINK the credit check is only in place to make sure individuals aren't trying to open a new account with AT&T when they owe them fees, already have an account, or have bad credit. I know that Comcast runs a credit check to make sure that individuals don't owe them money and are trying to avoid the fees by opening a new account.

I'm 20 btw so that close to your age. Go for it, you shouldn't have any problems.

Good Luck

13. brito thread starter macrumors newbie

so the apple store activated yours? i thought it could only be activated online or at the at&t store?

thanks

14. actorkid macrumors 6502

no...apple store employees are trained in activating your phone

15. brito thread starter macrumors newbie

cool. thanks.