iPhone 3G S enhances wifi performance significantly

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by uberamd, Jun 23, 2009.

1. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I ran some very nonscientific tests with my iPhone 3G S, iPhone 3G, and iPod Touch 1G using the same wireless network. I quickly discovered that the hardware enhancements in the 3G S gave it an undeniable edge in the wireless performance. It was interesting to see first hand the difference the hardware makes in wireless performance.

Each device was running 3.0 and I took the best result out of 5 tests for each device. Remember that speed is measured in Mbps (megabits per second) not MB/sec (megabytes per second) meaning 8 Mbps = 1 MB/sec.

iPod Touch 1st Generation

[​IMG]

iPhone 3G

[​IMG]

iPhone 3G S

[​IMG]

2. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Makes perfect sense to me. The iPhone 3G was always lacking in the internet speed department, even over wifi!! The only limiting factor was the processing power and ram of the device. I haven't had time to use my 3G S over wifi extensively but I'm glad to see this is the case!!

3. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

Yeah exactly. And while its not going to be noticeable for everyone (those who have under 7Mbps network connections) it should be pointed out that the Speedtest app stalls and chokes at times on the iPod Touch and 3G, however the entire length of the test it was smooth for the 3G S. The extra processing power and ram are making a big difference.

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I wish I could even come close to those!

Mine dl at a max of 4mb
    upload .89 mb.

ATT DSL, with 6.5 meg business DSL. This is the fastest I can even purchase from my provider at my office, and home.

Another words, I cannot even meet half of the speed you show, you're lucky friend.

5. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

To put it in perspective, on the same network using my PowerMac G5 over wired (vs wireless) I get

[​IMG]

And on wireless using the PowerMac G5 I get

[​IMG]

So as you can see, the wifi on the handheld devices matches and outperforms the PowerMac G5 on wireless, but obviously pales in comparison to the PowerMac G5 over ethernet.