iPhone 3G(S) - is your ringer button/switch wiggling or weak?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amitdoc2b, Jun 23, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I have the white 32gb iPhone 3G(S). When the phone's ringer switch is on mute (when the red dot is exposed) and I tap on it, the switch wiggles a lot like its going to fall off. But when it's pushed back up so that there's sound again and I tap on the switch, its sturdy with no problems.

Anyone else experiencing the same, or is this common with all 3G(S) iphones? Thanks.

2. TLewis macrumors 65816

Nope, I have a black 3GS, and the switch is solid in both positions.

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah -- noticed this today. Loose when in the Silent position, but fine otherwise. Doesn't really bother me, but if it breaks off I'll be taking it in immediately.

32 GB Black

4. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

At first I said no, but on further investigation, I notice a tiny bit of play in the switch, when it's in the silent position only.

It's a 32GB black 3GS. Built week 25.

5. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am sorry you are experiencing this as well, but am glad I am not the only one.. maybe this is just a common problem. Hopefully it doesn't break off. I'm so paranoid now everytime I switch back and forth.

6. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh wow.. looks like its a pandemic! LOL

7. randfee2 macrumors regular

randfee2

8. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Lol. See if your Apple store will swap it out for you.

I have a feeling if I asked ATT to do it, they would charge me a restocking fee. Apple won't.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

It's luck of the draw. People have had the same issue with every iPhone model.

10. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

It seems to be a matter of manufacturing inconsistency. While there's a little play in my switch, it's so minor as to be forgettable. My phone doesn't make any noise when I shake it, nor does the switch appear to move at all unless you tap it with your finger.

From the sound of it, though, the switches on other peoples' phones are far more loose than this.

11. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mine rattles when I shake it even lightly, and definitely rattles a lot when i tap on it gently. I have no issues with its looseness as long as it doesn't break off. My only concern was that if this was the norm or not.. but I feel a bit better seeing that MANY people have this same issue.. which makes me believe that not everyone's ringer switch will fall off (atleast I hope not)! :)

12. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I also have the black 32gb and no looseness whatsoever on the switch.

13. DK4L macrumors newbie

Naw man. I used to have that problem with my 3g. But my white 16g 3GS is strong. But I know what you mean

14. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Yep. I have it with my 8GB 3G refurb, but not with my original. :mad:

15. toober1 macrumors newbie

Anyone have the silet rocker button snap away or break off completely? this phone is only like 2 months old at the most

Now i have no way of turning it on silent or ring...

Im gonna go to apple and see what they do!

Attached Files:

16. macbook10 macrumors newbie

Called apple

I called apple today. I am having the same problem when I put it on silent it shakes but when it is on ringer it is stiff. The woman that I talked to said she had not heard of this before. I am going to call my local apple store to see if they can be more helpful. If someone has a breakthrough with support or the genius bar please post

17. sk2sep2304 macrumors regular

sk2sep2304

My first 3gs that I exchanged due to a dim screen had a loose switch. The replacement I'm using now is brighter and has a tight switch.

18. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Horrible! Did they swap it out for you without question or did they give you the business?

19. k-sherms macrumors newbie

just swapped my 32gb white 3g s due to a lose silent switch at future shop here in canada. no questions asked. new one has the same problem, although not as bad. guess most of them are this way

20. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
  21. JayDH macrumors 6502

I finally got a replacement 3GS with a half decent display and the silent switch is loose when on silent but not when switched to ring. I am just going to live with it for now. I must say I am very disappointed with the manufacture consistency with the 3GS.

22. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

The first day i got my phone (16GB white) I noticed this. Doesn't bother me too much.

23. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent