iPhone 3G S line swap... can I do this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by upsguy27, Jun 18, 2009.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Okay, so I was planning on adding a new line to my Premier account (it's on a family plan), and then do an upgrade swap in-store, where I would set up a new line, buy the 3G S, and switch it over to my main line all at the same time. Could I do this? I know that would leave me with an extra line that wouldn't be in use, but I was just going to let it charge me the $10 a month for that line until I could eventually cancel it. So, can I do all this?

2. glide macrumors regular

They will charge you $40/ month, but yes.

3. 101at9 macrumors member

101at9

Yes you can and the $30 data plan will only be charged to you while the iphone is on that line its not part of your 2 year contract so don't listen to people that say it is. I have asked several at&t employees that same question and either they had no idea or said that the data plan was removable.

4. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Okay, so even if they won't let me remove the data plan in-store the second I sign up for it, I can still remove it later at a prorated charge?

5. glide macrumors regular

The data plan is NOT removable on an iphone. If you have it on a family plan its $40/month minimum.

6. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I'd be switching the iPhone to my main line, an upgrade swap. So then I would remove the data plan from the line that had the iPhone, making it $10 a month.

7. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Sure you could but you do realize you'll be giving ATT $240 over 2 years ($10 X24 = $240) which is basically the subsidy and then some...better off just paying full price IMHO

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

Sure you can do it but at what cost.

New line: $26 activation ( FamilyTalk new add-a-line)
    Service: $9.99 per month ( initial ETF fee $175)

I just don't see where you are saving anything over an early upgrade price.

Dave

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

No, he can drop the iPhone data plan as soon as he has another phone's IMEI to put on that line but as I posted above the $9.00 per month with at initial ETF of $175 does not save him any money.

Dave

10. eggmclovin macrumors member

eggmclovin

Couldn't he,

1. Get the new line.
    2. Get a 3G S for that new line
    3. Cancel that line in a month or so?

Please help me too b/c this was a route I was considering.

11. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Step 3 costs $175 to do.

12. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I thought of that, the whole $10 a month thing. I'm going to drop my voice plan to the $10 cheaper one, effectively canceling out the two, meaning I don't save or lose any money.

13. eggmclovin macrumors member

eggmclovin

Ouch... nevermind.

14. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

I was planning on using an upgrade on my family plan thats not on my line. I can just go into an att store and tell them to upgrade the line for the 18 dollars, and have them activate the 3G S on my line while keeping the other line I just upgraded with the same phone on it. Correct?

15. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Yeah, it's called an upgrade swap.

16. jvas64 macrumors newbie

When you do an upgrade swap, does it renew the contract of the line which is getting the iphone?

17. dave006 macrumors 68020

Not quite that simple but that's the basic idea. Note that your "other" line will be in a new two year service commitment and not be Upgrade Eligible for a very long time...

You also need to be a retail authorized user to complete this transaction in the store.

How to add an authorized user:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...yncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB90110&isSrch=Yes

Dave

18. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Yeah, it does.

19. aneftp macrumors 68040

Are you guys/gals sure about the "upgrade swap" causing the other line to not be eligible for an upgrade for another 12-18 months.

I did the "upgrade swap" 2 times within the past 12 months.

July 29 2008 (I added new "line 5" to get new iPhone 3g and simply did a "swap" to my original "line 2 which was not eligible for iPhone 3g 199/299 pricing).

Than again in Jan 2009 (I did another "upgrade swap" to get my Blackberry Bold I upgraded "line 4" but switched the blackberry data plan/Bold to my "line 1".

My upgrade dates have remained the same on my "line being "swaped" into. So my "line 2 and line 1" kept their original upgrade dates and they were never moved back.

My line 5 and line 4 had their contract renewed for 24 months and the eligibility upgrade date set back to 18 months form the time of my "upgrade"

20. twenty7angels macrumors newbie

okay I'm kind of new to this but here's my scenario:

On a family plan with 2 phones, but lost 1 phone recently and not going to replace yet.

we should be "eligible for a discounted price in july, 2 yr. contract ends in nov. 09.

dilemma: my work just authorized the iphone for use at work (currently have a bberry). I asked them if i could just buy my own phone and have work pay for the service.

They basically said: buy a phone at the apple store, bring it in and they'll do their hocus pocus to put my old number on the iphone and presto I have an iphone instead of a bberry for work---they pay for the plan!

So, how do I do this? do I have to pay the no contract price at apple to do this or can I just wait until i'm eligible on my family plan and pay the lower price for the phone but then just cancel my family plan and I'm good?

help!

p.s. hubby wants an iphone as well, so he'll just upgrade when he can, so worst case scenario we would just pay for the 2 plans--but why do that when I can get work to pay for the plan? (my boss won't spring for the actual device)