iPhone 3G S not compatable with iPhone 3G Dock?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mojoxp, Jun 19, 2009.

1. mojoxp macrumors member

I just got the iPhone 3G S home, plugged it into my Apple iPhone 3G Dock, and I'm getting a "Charging is not supported with this accessory".

Anyone else seeing this, and is Apple seriously screwing people like this?

I can see having to buy a new dock for the 3G, because it was a different form factor than the 2G, but this is insane.

2. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I have an even better one for you...

I put my 3.0 OS iPhone 3G into the 3G dock I bought the same day, and I got the same message.
    It still starting charging though.
    Seems like a bug to me.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Apple only sells one dock for the 3G and 3GS, so it better be compatible. Have to wait 'till I get home to try mine.

Update: Yup, works fine here.

4. emaja macrumors 68000

I got that message with my 3G occasionally, but not yet on my GS. Just dismiss it when you see it pop up.

5. mojoxp thread starter macrumors member

After restoring the backup and a restart of my iMac its working fine now, strange.

6. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

I have the dock for 3G and it works fine with my 3GS. :)

7. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I got the message once. Ignored it and it has not come back.

8. bobbba macrumors regular

It might be that you are using an older AC adaptor or USB cable rather than the dock.

9. emaja macrumors 68000

Not in my case. They are both the Apple dock and cable.

10. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Exactly the same issue here. Currently restoring the backup from my 3G and I'll try it again after that (20 mins left at a guess). I tried a number of times and the dock never charged, even after accepting the message

Other cables, including the one that came with the 3G also don't work, ONLY the one that came with the 3GS seems to work.

I guess if this is the only issue then it's not bad

11. Woz Beard macrumors regular

Woz Beard

How odd. I'm using a new AC adaptor, old USB cable, and the dock has never caused an error or given me problems.

I've restored my phone for other reasons, so I know it's been working without any problems since last Friday.

Go figure.

12. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Update: Well after restoring the backup it still did not work. I tried the dock plugged into a few places & a few different (non 3GS supplied) cables. After about the 20th plugin of a cable, now every cable works fine, even the old "ebay specials" that I used to charge the 3G at work which had previously been tried without luck.

I wonder if there was a bad conection, or something on one of the pins on the dock that has now cleared itself?

Anyway it works & I'm happy.

13. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Is it going to do any harm to continue using a charger that says it's not made for this phone?

14. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

I never bothered buying one of those rip-off iphone docks - the universal dock that I got with my iPod 5G works just fine (it does bring up an "accessory not supported" message but I just ignore it).

In fact, I'm sure Apple now sell an insert for the iPhone for the universal dock too although its a bit pricey at £6 for a bit of plastic; works fine without it.