iPhone 3G s - O2 launch problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ukcowboy, Jun 15, 2009.

1. ukcowboy macrumors newbie

Here's one for all of us who signed up on day day one for the 3G launch ...
    O2 is not going to allow an upgrade path. You have to buy your way out of the current contract. (£200.0o ish) ... then purchase the new 3Gs at the normal price.
    I dont know about you but seeing that the new phone has no major upgrades to make you go wow .... (i know .. new camera, compass.. etc, but not enough to spend my way out of my current contract) ... come December, you might as well wait for the next version in June 2010 ....
    Carriers and Apple are not going to see the response to the 3Gs as they did with the 3G because of the upgrade restrictions...
    My bet is O2 will launch ... and see that sales are lagging ... give it a few months and then offer current users a new deal .. I'll wait for the new iPhone, the iPhone 4.0 in June 2010 ...
    Any thoughts on this ....

2. paulcdb macrumors regular

i'm wondering why everyones still going on about o2 not budging on the contracts.

As it's been said a dozen times, o2 never subsidized the first iPhone like they did with the 3G so they aren't going to lose money over it by ending contracts early.

I still have 6-7 months left so i'll just buy the new one via PAYG, sell mine with the PAYG sim and it'll end up working out cheaper then if i signed up to another 18 month contract... any money saved can go to the 2010 iPhone ;)

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I don't wish to be rude but please use the search function before starting new threads - there have been loads and loads of threads about this issue already on here, generating thousands of posts.

4. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

There's already been much discussion about this on the forum. For example, look here

The last iPhone was subsidised by O2, so you don't get an upgrade until the subsidy has been covered, just like with any other mobile phone contract.

However, you don't necessarily need to pay off your existing contract. You can buy a Pay & Go iPhone 3GS and swap over the SIM cards, thus continuing yur current contract on the new phone.

5. bonecracker macrumors member

To Rushmere

I have never had an iphone before but wish to buy one, could you please just clarify your last post, ie i am on a friends and family discount contract that i have had for years.

Would i be able to buy the payg iphone and put my sim in there and get all the iphone functions etc, and just carry on with my old contract?

I rang o2 and they said that I have to go on to a new iphone contract. seems a pity to loose a 30% discount. Many thanks in advance