iPhone 3G S or Blackberry Bold ? I'm torn between the two

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by I'm a Mac, Jun 14, 2009.

1. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

So I have a first-gen iPhone, and I'm looking to get a new phone. I'm really torn between the two and I need help deciding which I should go with for my new phone. I'm already on at&t, so neither phone is an issue as far as contracts or billing.

Here's my list of advantages and disadvantages; hopefully you can help me add to the list.

iPhone 3G S: Nothing beats the internet on the iPhone (or at least, not the bold, imho) and after painstakingly slow EDGE, I'm sure the 3G S will be a great improvment

Apps- while EDGE prevented me from downloading many apps, being able to really download apps and keep up to date with the latest and greatest of the app store is really cool... PLUS the fact that apps are way more entertaining and useful than brickbreaker on the blackberry

iTunes Store- while I rarely used to download music from the iTunes app- being able to download video is a HUGE plus, especially with travel- so I don't have to worry about downloading the videos to my computer first, wasting disk space, and last-minute syncing before traveling

MobileMe- the iPhone has truly been the one killer feature for my mobileme account wireless and push syncing is invaluable. I never have to manually sync contacts or calendar which is a huge plus

Camera- the new iPhone camera with autofocus plus the awesome video recording make a great feature

Multi-touch- despite the lack of keyboard, the iPhone's multitouch UI just can't be beat with a trackball

Blackberry Bold:

BBM: this would be the killer reason for getting a blackberry. Almost all of my friends have blackberries, and the instantaneous method of communication and ease of use totally out-does SMS and MMS as a way of communication- and I feel like i miss out on this with the iPhone

Keyboard: nothing beats a keyboard on a blackberry, and while I don't hate the iphone's keyboard, you can't argue that a real keyboard isn't easier

2. oncdoc macrumors newbie

In Summary:

iPhone: +6 vs BB: +2
    6>2
    You have your answer.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

So...you're coming to a Mac forum to decide whether to buy an Apple iPhone or a Blackberry? Wonder how this'll turn out.

4. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Easy decision. Go with the Blackberry Bold. If you are planning on using the Blackberry Messenger system, its absolutely amazing.

That alone makes it worth it over the iPhone in my view. I absolutely love my Pearl and would only part with it for a Blackberry 8900 or a Bold. I bought an original iPhone when they were released but it couldn't cure my berry addiction.

5. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I temporarily switched from an iPhone 3G to a Bold several months back. I absolutely loved it but the browser alone was enough to make me switch back within 2 days. The speaker and sound quality on the Bold was 200% better than any iPhone I've used. Another thing is while the keyboard was great my thumbs were sore by the end of the two days which is an issue I've never had using an iPhone. The BB 5.0 firmware is coming soon. It's already leaked in fact. It looks like the browser is improved a lot. I seriously considered moving back to the Bold rather than getting an iPhone 3G S. If you are a Mac user you should also consider that the syncing software for the Bold is very limited and clunky.

6. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

As far as keyboard goes, I personally like the iPhone's touch keyboard... I hate having to push buttons!

Also, I love my iPhone, never will I replace it unless it breaks then I would have to buy a new one.

I have an unlocked 2G one cuz I have T-Mobile and doesn't want to pay for ATT's overpriced service.

So... try both of them... I know the 3G S is not out yet, but try the normal 3G and then the Bold and compare them both, see which one you like.

Its a matter of preference.

7. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

The keyboard on the blackberry is easily one of the best features, imho my favorite of all phones.

8. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

If you plan on doing mostly messaging with people and staying communication connected, I think the better choice for you would be the bold or the new curve.

If you want a real internet experience and a better all around technology experience the iPhone makes the BB look really dated. The iPhone has more "fun" things to do on it that will keep you amused. I had the original iPhone as well, and am currently using the new 8900 Curve and while it's ok, I miss the internet, iPod, and all the software that makes time go by faster. Rim really needs to get their OS whipped into shape, they are falling behind. iPhone and the new Pre are light years ahead.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Email, messaging, and keyboard on the Bold is very good.

Of course now I have a Storm. :p

10. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have just sold both my bold and 8900 off as I found them naff after using the iphone. I am now waiting for the iphone 3gs, especially now that you can get tomtom for it. Telnav was pants as if you had no coverage, you were quite frankly stuck.

11. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

It Depends on what you want it for

I will say that I have only had an iPhone 3G smartphone and never owned another previous to it. I like to describe the iPhone as the smartphone for everyone else. If you are getting a smartphone and want to use it for business as well as personal organizing, I think it would be hard to argue against a Blackberry. If you are just looking for a personal device that will keep your personal data/appointments straight, keep music and photos on the phone for you, and offer a hard to beat internet browser, I would go with an iPhone. I have found few business apps in the app store (though there are some). I am afraid that isn't much help to you.

12. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

This is what was really making the decision difficult for me. I know I was missing out big time on BBM because I have an iPhone, but is it that worth it that I have to give up MobileMe syncing, the app store, the internet (well, the 'real' internet), and the itunes mobile store just for bbm?

13. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

its not worth it. i think that your messaging experience wont be that bad with 3.0 and push. i would stick with the app store and safari on an iphone

14. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

My Girlfriend has the Blackberry Bold, I have the iPhone 3G. She would take great pleasure in teasing me about cut and paste and sending contact information etc... But I think the 3.0 update will solve many of these issues.

Ultimately if I'm honest the Blackberry beats the iPhone properly in one department only and that is proper dedicated push email.

But I think that after the months of comparing we have been able to do my Girlfriend would choose the iPhone for her next phone, reasons:
    1. the iPod functions. its just far easier with an iPhone and iTunes.
    2. The App Store - Getting apps and the vast array of apps available dwarf what is possible on any other phone and many of these apps are free (try to find a useful free Blackberry app)
    3. The keyboard has always been an issue with blackberry users claiming that their keyboards are easier - I'm not convinced, but this remains a personal choice - I prefer the touch screen system, its more logical IMHO
    4. iPhone software is not as snappy as the rim system but I think it looks better and you can get things done more quickly because there are less steps.
    5. The iPhone comes with a lot more memory 8GB, 16GB and now 32GB the Blackberry takes miniSD cards but I don't think you can get a 32GB miniSD card
    6. You can actually surf the web properly on an iPhone - What blackberry does... please its like Opera mini only worse

There are some nice things about the Blackberry: Better sound from the speakers, the Video playback is impressive (If you can figure out how to get the videos onto your phone), The little leather case that comes with the phone is a nice touch, the headphones suck, The trackball is fast but feels plasticky.

But all in all it come down to posting on an apple forum - what do you expect - of course we prefer the iPhone. Have you posted on a Blackberry site? What do they say?

15. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Have you thought about Nokia E71? It is a great little phone. It runs at 3G speed at your original iPhone's data plan, and tethering it with your Mac is very simple and fun (Unlimited data of course). Be sure to buy the unlocked one so ATT can not track your data usage.

16. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

The decision's really between the two I mentioned. If I wasn't going to get an iPhone, the next phone would definitely be a blackberry by default.

17. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I have both phones and I don't understand the BBM issue.
    Here is why......

While I agree BBM is nice and I understand when you say all my coworkers or friends use it. Mine do to.
    What I don't understand is why does that matter? So they have BBM and what that means is they have an icon/application on a BB that shows a message JUST EXACTLY like they have an inbox with an icon that also shows the vary same thing. Communication is communication it does not matter what the icon looks like or the screen looks like when open.

There is only one thing you actually missing without a BB and that would be if they are using the BBM with group chat where several friends are all chatting together. Other than that one option it's not that big of a deal. You can still send them text messages and they still receive them.

Look past the BBM to what it does.

I don't use my Bold anymore but I will say it's by far the Best BB phone I have ever used. Even tho that may be true I still use my iPhone3G because it's better for me for many of the reasons you already mentioned. MobileMe is second to none. The DM does not play nice with Mac's and it's a headache to keep everything sync with a BB.

18. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I have a BB Curve and can't say that it is anything I'm that loyal too. I have taken a few months to get acquainted with it, but as mentioned above "Communication is communication".

I really don't think that "Communication" is a killer app. And if that is what BB's big PRO is for you then I think when you weigh the options between Apple and RIM you will see Apple winning.

Versatility is a big PRO for Apple and I plan on getting rid of my BB Curve in the days to come. The BB scroll wheel is an intuitive input, but not as intuitive as my fingers are.

19. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess you're right. Blackberry people rave about BBM because it's the best method of communication for them, but that doesn't mean they can't text people anymore or their phone is so much better, and the advantages of having an iPhone (esp. as a mac user) outweigh the benefit of getting that bbm notification maybe 3 seconds earlier than an SMS.

20. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

I have a BB Curve 8900 and my friend has the iPhone so I can kind of compare the two. I myself don't like having all touchscreen, I like to push things. I think texting is by far easier on the Curve and would be more for the Bold because it's slightly larger. There aren't as many apps for the BB as there is for the iPhone. I get my email, text, mms, bb communication, aim, facebook, mspace all in one inbox which makes checking things much easier. I don't know if it's possible with this on the iPhone from what I've seen. Battery life seems to be better. Browsing the internet and multimedia on the iPhone is easier and faster to use.

That's about all I can think of. I feel the BB is more of a business phone so you know what is going on and the iPhone is something where it's simple, fast and just fun to mess around with.

Just my $.02

21. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Well the thing is if most of your contacts use BBM. Then it is going to be quicker and more efficient for you to use BBM. People who use BBM may not necessarily be so quick to send out SMS or MMS messages as they would a PIN.

I guess it really comes down to your needs. If you prefer Mobile Me and all that the iPhone has to offer, then you may want to go with the iPhone. If communication is key for you, it only makes sense for you to go with the Blackberry, especially when most of your contacts as you said use BBM as a method of communication.

I know people who have data plans but no text. I guess that means they pay for each text they send, yet the BBM messages are covered under their "data" plan. Correct?

+1 for battery life on the berries. It's going to be MUCH better then what you will get with any iPhone.

22. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that BBM is definitely a better way of communication, and even though it has become the new "thing" among friends, I realized that out of my closest friends, and the people that I text most, as of now, do not have blackberries, so that might've made the decision for me.

23. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

If that is the case, then I would go with the iPhone. I was just assuming that your close contacts were all Blackberry users.

Let us know how it goes :)