iPhone 3G S: Problem setting up account online

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doobs, Jun 11, 2009.

1. doobs macrumors regular

I am trying to purchase an iPhone 3G S through the Apple website. Every time I go through the process and right before the last step (Reserve or Buy), I get an error message saying "There was a problem setting up your account online." I had a FAN# on my account and went to AT&T to have them remove it since it caused a problem when purchasing the last iPhone. That FAN# now no longer shows up on my AT&T account webpage. Also, I am having to purchase the new iPhone 3G S at full $700 price because I do not qualify for early upgrade until next year. Any ideas about why I am unable to purchase online? Thanks!

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

Are you on a FamilyTalk rate plan with the $30 Messaging for Families (shared plan)? If you answer yes, then you will have to remove this feature and the re-add it after you complete your order from Apple.com. It should only take about 15 minutes (start to finish).

You can also re-add your FAN using this link if you have an email address for your company, group or school:

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/enrollment/

Dave

3. doobs thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, I do not have the Family plan. I have the lowest minutes plan (450 minutes, I believe) with the standard iPhone data plan and 250 text messages. The AT&T rep in the store that I visited told me that I could come back in to reactivate my FAN#. However, that is not my concern right now...I just want to figure out how to actually (pre-)purchase a new iPhone 3G S. Thanks for the response.