iPhone 3G S rattling noise? normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ericxd, Jun 29, 2009.

1. ericxd macrumors regular

When I give it a good shake i can hear rattling noise on my iPhone 3G S? I never noticed this on my iPhone 3G...so is it normal? if not, i need to return it...

2. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

I too noticed this in my phone, my 3G didnt have this problem nor does the 2G ipod. Im not too concerned at the moment however reading today about overheating issues other people are having is catching my attention. I dont wanna be stuck with AT&T over a crappy phone. LOL

3. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

here we go again.... there's nothing wrong with your phone, it's the auto focus lens in your camera that is rattling. It's one of very few moving parts in the phone and it can make noise.

Next time search.

4. samven582 macrumors 6502a

My phone does not make any noise when I shake it.

5. astonecold83 macrumors member

Don't worry, this is normal for the 3GS. I'm on my second 3GS already and both of them had the same rattle so when I went to the Apple Store on Saturday....The Genius rep told me that it is normal and nothing to worry about and that it had something to do with the camera parts..I dunno but I learned to ignore the rattle and just enjoy the features. :rolleyes:

6. arom macrumors 6502

I went to the Apple Store last night and swapped out my 16GB because of rattle. The new one does the same thing so it is normal. However I should have kept the old one as this one has the loose silent switch ughhh.....

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I was at the Apple Store last night and I saw a guy complaining about the rattle and he swapped his iPhone out... hah!

Seriously guys... stop shaking your iPhone and you won't hear the rattle.

8. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

The rattle on my old phone was the ringer toggle and the sleep button.

9. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately there are apps that suggest you shake the thing! I just got off the phone with Apple support and asked about the rattling in passing and they went and got a couple and said it wasn't normal...I have a feeling they're wrong, but they're sending me to the Apple store to check it out anyhow.

10. jaycarroll macrumors regular

Sounds like it could absolutely be the vibration motor to me. The weight attached to that would absolutely move when the phone is shook.

11. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

If it breaks and FUNCTIONALITY is lost, get it fixed. Otherwise quit looking for reasons to return your phone. This constant swapping so many people are doing is stupid.

12. itsmequinn macrumors regular

I don't know about the 3GS but the first iphone 3G I had had a slightly loose vibrate switch that would rattle only when it was shaken in the vibrate position. I'm sure whatever your issue is, be it the camera or the switch, it's fine. Just don't shake it and if something stops working, take it to the genius bar.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

(man is punching his shoulder"

"Doc - it hurts whenever I do this motion"
    "Then don't do that"

14. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

15. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

My sleep/ringer toggle button shakes when my I turn my phone on silent mode. Thus why some can hear it, and some cant ;) The majority of iPhones have this.

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

It's driving me mad, too. :(

17. mhweiler macrumors newbie

rattle

I'm on my 3rd iPhone 3GS, and ALL THREE have had the rattle.

iPhone 1) Genius bar replaced due to the rattle
    iPhone 2) extremely quirky even after restoring it (had the rattle) so it was replaced
    iPhone 3) works great, but still has the rattle

It has to do with a loose ringer switch.

18. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

just following up, they replaced mine today and the new one does not rattle. They said it wasn't normal and even took the glass off to see if anything was loose. When they didn't see anything they came back and said it must be something in the back of the phone and gave me a new one.

19. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

Was the replacement iPhone 3G S in a normal box or the small slim black box?

20. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

All I brought in was my phone, so all they gave me as a replacement was a phone. I think if i'd brought my box and cable, charger, headphones they'd have given me a new box since mine was less than 2 weeks old. Why do you ask?

21. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Not really. They usually only swap the phone even if you have the box.

22. aajad macrumors member

aajad

It Isn't Normal

Not everyone wants a perfect phone and will return one without a good reason. The genius said it is NOT normal for the vibrate switch to have a rattle. The replacement is tight. See here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=749389

23. Surely Guest

Surely

The """""""Genius"""""""" is wrong.

24. ct2k7 macrumors 603

You took the words out of my mouth

25. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

Mine was not a little noise caused by a loose "silent" switch. It was something inside that was not properly anchored or connected. I wouldn't take it in for a loose switch unless the thing fell off. I read online some people thought it was the new auto-focus camera pieces moving around, but then I shook my friend's 3GS and it didn't have the rattling that mine did, and neither does my new one(though the silent switch is a bit looser).